Pages

Sunday 1 September 2019

It's September.

Eloise - Oakwell Hall was incredibly reasonable for the day. Some places are horrifically expensive. I find myself wondering whether you could just find a corner to sit and knit if you lived there or if you had to be always doing important stuff.

Justjill - It's really lovely, and there is a small patch of woods around with a 2 mile walk. It's not well advertised, though, and I passed it plenty of times before I realised that the sign for the turn off wasn't for a garden centre.

Wherethejourneytakesme - The little ropes aren't very visible, to be fair, and they have teasels placed carefully on the benches so you don't sit on priceless antiques!

Today was Bagshaw Museum. It was free to go in, and is a Victorian gothic house which has been a place where odds and ends have been collected for a century.


It's a little out of the way, but I found it okay. It's just off the road where I used to practice emergency stops on driving lessons.



The rooms seemed very grand


I couldn't get a pic that did the painted ceilings justice


And the landing was quite dramatic


The this fascinated me. It's a room dedicated to the Victorian seaside, but the label looks so old, and I know it opened to the public in 1911, so I wonder how long that exhibit had been patiently sat there.


They had an Egyptian room, an African Room, a South Asia room and exhibits about the Victorian seaside, the history of Batley and some scruffy stuffed animals. I don't think we will go back soon.

There was also a butterfly 'house' which is sort of a fancy greenhouse where they breed English butterflies and the lovely lady there explained all about the breeding cycles and the different tactics that the butterflies use for eggs and caterpillars. 

I've been reading all the plans people have for September. I'm very drawn to this, but I am very bad at following lists. If I say I'm going to go right, I end up going left. Besides, bear doesn't go back to school for another three days and I won't be able to do much until then. I think I need to seriously get some stuff sorted, but I think I wait until I've actually done something before I announce it.

I'm not feeling hopeful, but I'm going to go away and start working on a strategy. Then I need to work out how to stick to it. Hopefully having fun along the way.

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying seeing these pictures of the places you've been visiting. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete