Pages

Sunday 17 December 2017

Parenting Fail

We were discussing presents.  I pointed out to bear that there was a thread on Mumsnet about how many presents people were getting for their kids, including some very low totals..  I didn't bother mentioning Father Christmas as bear is deeply sceptical.  'Well, at least I'm getting my steering wheel.' bear said with satisfaction.  What?!?!

He had decided against the steering wheel in favour of Lego back in October.  This is a wheel where you plug it into a PC or console and use to drive simulated trucks.  Bear adores Eurotruck simulator, so he enjoys his current steering wheel, but he complains about the squeaky pedals.  I practiced my 'nod and smile' as he gave me the technical reasons why he needed a different one, preferably with a gear stick.  However as I pointed out that these things were easily over £100 even with deals, he chose Lego.  Now he is outraged that I thought he meant it. 

I'm going to start getting this in writing.  Mind you, this skill at re-writing the past will serve him well at meetings all the way through his working life.  He's got a knack for arguing his case and it won't hurt his future career.

My initial reaction is that you can barely move for cardboard despite DH having done several runs to the tip, he is getting some really good stuff and it will 'build character' if he has to use the Amazon Vouchers we are giving him together with money from his pocket money, birthday etc.  DH came in as bear went upstairs to brush his teeth and asked whether we could get it in time.  And I sort of get why.  I hate seeing bear upset.  He has been awesome today and really helpful.  And even though there will be a sizeable mound of presents for his Christmas and birthday I haven't spent that much on him.  I was mentally totting it up and it's around £60-£70 each on Christmas and his birthday.  Most of his peers at school will have a lot more spent on them.  However I wince at the thought of spending the same again for presents.

I sort of know that bear will end up with the steering wheel and I'm worried about the signal we're sending.  I think I'm going to have to use the transistion to High School as a good point to start cutting back.  Apart from this, bear has been a dream and really helpful, the day has been relaxing and things have generally been good. 

Thank you for all the comments.  Step Two - answer individually every comment on the blog.  You are all awesome and I am lucky to get such supportive, interesting and lovely comments.  I should show proper appreciation. 

6 comments:

  1. You know it's not a Parenting Fail. It is a Parenting Hit or Miss. They change their minds as fast as lightening and expect us to follow and we aren't that quick. ha. You thought I meant it?! Well you said it so of course I thought you meant it. They will shake their heads and wonder how we could get it so wrong. Don't you just love how their minds work. :) I went through this with K. once in the tale of two coats one winter. He was so shocked I'd picked the wrong one when he had stood in front of the mirror at the dept. store for 30-mins admiring his reflection. He was 15...so they don't change as they get older. A trip, an exchange and he had the coat of his dreams for a day. Make the steering wheel the very last gift Bear opens and he'll be confused to think you were actually listening to what he wasn't saying. :D Boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I can just imagine K, because boys at 15 can really check out their look in the mirror. How dare we not actually read their minds! I love it when they are absolutely horrified that you take them at their word. Sometimes it's whether they want extra chicken or a drink, but it's absolute disbelief when you take their answer as the real deal lol LM x

      Delete
  2. I can understand why you don't want to disappoint him, and I can understand your dilemma about wrong signals. Maybe you can suggest he buys it with his christmas and birthday money... but you actually buy it in advance o he has it over Christmas? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've decided to go for an inexpensive version after prolonged negotiations. Honestly, he's going to be a nightmare in business meetings when he's older. He is actually quite good about not asking for things, so it's not as bad as it could be. LMx

      Delete
  3. Christmas and birthdays are good times to spoil the children. If not then, when?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, and bear is actually very good as he doesn't ask for a lot. I get great advice from the people who comment here. I don't want to spoil him, but it is going to be Christmas and his birthday. Thank you! Your perspective is always really helpful. LM x

      Delete