Pages

Thursday 8 August 2019

An Adventure

We were supposed to be going to Temple Newsam. How hard could it be? I knew the route, knew the tricky bits, I should have been fine. I got about a mile away from the house and took a wrong turn that made it all go very, very wrong. I ended up heading towards Leeds City Centre with no clue about how to get on the right track. And every way that I tried to get back on track, it went wrong, including me sitting in stationery traffic, realising I was in the wrong lane and then having to switch - in front of a police car! I did it all according to the rules, but I wasn't calm.

I had two lads in the back who were awesome, but I was a bag of nerves anyway as I knew I'd have some unfamiliar driving and motorway/dual carriageway/slip roads to face, so it wasn't helping. We ended up at Kirkstall Abbey. The plan was icecream, food, museum, possibly football.

The icecream from the van in the car park was not very nice but the cafe at Abbey House made up for it as we all had baked potatoes. Then we had a look around the museum at Abbey House. It is the original gatehouse of the monastary, probably thirteenth century, but the food was good and modern while sitting under medieval arches.

We had a great time in the museum. I was worried that the lads may not have enjoyed it, but we took part in a quiz which sent them running around a recreated Victorian street, which was awesome. There was a recreated pharmacy, a shop selling mourning clothes, a recreated pub, pawnbrokers, Sunday School and grocers. There was also the opportunity to dress up.


I don't know who he got his love of the dramatic from. We had so much fun in the museum that there was hardly any time for football.

All it all, it was a good day. Next week we may consider Temple Newsam, but I'm also considering Heckmondwike zoo (two bunnies and an alpaca).

I also went to the tip earlier this morning and filled up the car, getting £3.60 off the petrol. That has to be a good thing. So I think today has been mildly successful.

Hugs to all.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete