Pages

Sunday 13 October 2019

Cheese!

I've been rummaging around various recipes over the last few days. I'm trying to shake things up a little. Every time I think I have a meal plan sorted out, something dreadful happens and it all goes wrong, but I'm going to risk it and say that it is pasta bake tomorrow, at the request of DH and bear. It's the jar stuff, to my shame, and from Aldi, but they like it (and I will be having something else, due to cheese). Tuesday will be fishcakes and something, Wednesday will be meatballs and something and Thursday will be an attempt at the recipe for Mandarin and lentil curry from Jack Monroe's Tin Can Cook Book. Friday is a catch as catch can, as bear and I will be dashing out to fencing before DH gets home so he is likely to have frozen pizza and I can imagine bear making a passionate appeal for a McDonalds, although I am going to try and sell him on some home-made soup. Saturday is soup and Sunday we are back to a type of buffet dinner with nice bread, cooked meat and coleslaw.

I've been looking at 'somethings' to go with the fish cakes and meatballs, and it is surprising how many include cheese. It seems to be heaped on all sorts of things. I keep seeing things for potatoes that look amazing, but scattered with cheese, or veggies with added cheese, or sauces with cheese and it's very depressing. I'm not allergic to cheese, it just makes me severely vomit. I'm not going into details, but a small scattering of grated cheese can take me out for the day. I really miss cheese. DH and bear had Wendesleydale and ginger cheese with their dinner tonight, and I envied them. I grew up in Cheshire, home to amazing cheese, and we would get our cheese from Chester market, where the farmers brought cheese produced on the farm. Now I can just watch from the sidelines.

I'm still looking at the side dishes, as I think that the men will get sick of mash after a while, despite their protests, and I'll share when if I find anything good. So far I've been looking on the Tesco recipe site, the BBC Food page and All Recipes UK. I may have a browse through some cookbooks.

Writing stuff - Quite a big one for me today. I've posted a story on my blog that was originally posted in 2014, which I had a lot of fun writing and it's here. At the bottom is a list of all the other participants of October Frights Blog Hop. However the big one for me is an extract from 'Digging up the Past read by Timothy Bateson here. I feel incredibly flattered and sort of giddy. Thank you Timothy!


No comments:

Post a Comment