Pages

Tuesday 3 March 2020

Mistakes May Have Been Made (again)

I'd noticed the black mold in the porch and waited for a Tuesday that was likely to be dry. Bear left the house at around 7.20am for his lift with his pal's dad and by 8am I had liberally sprayed the walls with undiluted white vinegar, as per instructions on WikiHow. I dropped some empty cardboard boxes off at the tip, came back, and rinsed the porch with soapy water.

This was not as effective as I could have wished. First of all, I couldn't reach to wipe all of the bits that I had sprayed. Secondly, the porch is around a metre and a half square at most and despite the porch windows being open, it wasn't airing out. Thirdly, it was not as dry outside as I had hoped. The porch is currently a no-go area. I can't even stick my head in it without choking. I'm going to have to have another go tomorrow, or possibly the next day if I can't stand it.

I need to get my sewing machine serviced. I'm still scared of it, but I thought I would have a go at making a steampunk outfit. I've run into a few snags. All the steampunk costumes seem very fitted and trim. I am very much a larger lady and have a high waist and a low and over-ample bosom. Anything like a dress looks like a sack of water with a rough tie in the middle. The neat, military style and fitted jackets wouldn't go near me. I can barely sew, so I don't think I can manage alterations to a pattern. I've picked up a pattern that may work. It's supposed to be average difficulty. Did I mention I'm still scared of the sewing machine? But it's as good a way as any to get me going on the sewing. I thought I would dig out old duvet covers and sheets and have a practice, once I've got my sewing machine serviced. I also picked up an inexpensive hat pattern that bear said he would help me with. I'll share what happens with that!

I mean, it looks like it would fit me more or less (and the diet has already started), but it also looks complicated. However, if I can make it work with the trial runs, I think I will have learned some techniques with this.

Writing stuff - my take on this week's challenge is here.

Hugs to all.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that looks like a really cool outfit! I wish I had the skills to make it - and that I wasn't scared of the sewing machine too. I would love to be able to photograph somebody in it too lol.

    ReplyDelete