Pages

Sunday 22 October 2017

Hygge Happened!

As far as I can tell, this weekend hit perfect hygge. 

DH, bear and I hung out in the study.  We were all comfy, the weather outside was awful (but not as awful as some, I am grateful that we haven't been hit hard), we had nice food, talked, joked, watched stuff separately and together and generally relaxed.  Now it's Sunday evening so DH is upstairs, bear is allegedly going to sleep and I am taking this weekend as a win.

I was quite grateful as I made the application for bear's school places today and I needed all the hygge.  For those who are unfamiliar with the process of getting secondary school places, it's relatively simple.  You go online and register an account.  Then you choose five schools in the order of preference.  Then you press submit.  Then you hope to heaven you've made the right choices. 

I admit I looked through all the schools in Leeds.  It was quite depressing.  Some looked good but were distant, many were okayish or failing and near.  DH's old school has gone from being pretty awesome when he was there with lots of students reaching A levels down to a state where it is barely scraping by.  I was also saddened by how few schools got more than 50% of their pupils through a decent grade in English and Maths, the absolute basics that they will need later in life. 

On the bright side, I used my Sainsburys coupon and I included some ravens in the order.  We have a fondness for ravens in this house, or at least a healthy respect from a safe distance.  Sainsburys have been selling plastic ravens for Halloween so I used the money from the coupon for two ravens (and purchased one extra, what can I say).  I left one in the dining room and when I went in without turning the light on I really jumped.  The silhouette in the shadow was incredibly lifelike and my first reaction was 'how the heck did that get in here?'

3 comments:

  1. I have a great fondness for such weekends. They are few and far between so I really love it when they come around. Happy you had such a good one. Hope everything works out and the right school just lands in your lap...or Bear's. :) Girl! Those raven's come alive at the witching hour. haha! I love a spooky Halloween. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choosing a school can be really difficult! I'm so glad that time in our life is done. I was always second guessing myself - but the 'kids' have turned out all right so I shouldn't complain too much! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to read that you had a good weekend. I am sure Bear would do well at any school he attended, but I hope he gets accepted to one where he will be able to flourish.

    ReplyDelete