Pages

Thursday 19 April 2018

So Warm!

Like any Brit, the weather is vitally important to me.  What else can I talk about?  Apparently it is the hottest day since last August and the hottest April day since 1949.  It's okay, though, as the weather is likely to go downhill rapidly next week. 

My search history isn't looking any better.  I wanted to know if a character could legally carry a particular knife in the UK.  According to an official website, you can legally carry a knife to and from a museum for an exhibition, or for the purposes of historical re-enactment.  I can just imagine the weary expressions of the coppers trying to explain that if you say you're going to an historical re-enactment then you shouldn't just be wearing jeans and hoodie with a broadsword strapped across your back.  If you want to carry the broadsword, you should not only look like you're making an effort, but you should also be able to tell the unlucky officers of any re-enactment that is happening within a hundred miles.  It is in human nature to look for loopholes.

While I was looking at the legal position I found that, according to the official police website, a sword is officially a banned knife and there is such a thing as a zombie knife, which is also banned.  Of course I had to look it up - here, if you're interested, which is the Wikipedia link.  I remember seeing them years ago on eBay with weird handles and contorted blades.  I think it's perhaps as well they aren't around.  My character wouldn't have one of those anyway. 

Cherie K - thank you for the tip.  I am planning on spending some time this weekend with safety pins, needles, elastic and probably some harsh language.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete