Pages

Tuesday 7 July 2020

Another Adventure

Sharon - using cash at the garage was the first time I've used cash since around March! During the Middle Ages, when plague was around, they used to leave their coins in little pots of vinegar. There is a stone with a little dip in at York. That's where the farmers used to bring food to the city during times of plague, and the city dwellers used to leave the payment in vinegar in those hollows. I found this 

Bear has a hospital appointment at Seacroft Hospital tomorrow, and it's somewhere I don't know. In fact, it's on the way to York, on the A64 and that is a road I have never successfully reached. I've always got baffled in Leeds Centre, ended up in the wrong lane and finished up on the opposite side of the city. 

I tried a trial run today. I programmed my sat nav and set off. I knew it was going to be tricky as there are roadworks everywhere! I couldn't follow all of the directions as the road was closed or that turn wasn't permitted at that junction and always I was watching out for the unfamiliar speed limits and lane changes. And of course there are loads of lane changes. I was terrified.

I got to the hospital okay. There were a few moments when I felt like giving up, but I managed. I didn't stop at the hospital except for a brief pause to change my sat nav to get home, and I still have no idea how I am going to park, especially as bear can't walk far, but I'll worry about that tomorrow.

Going home was different. I got splendidly, magnificently, gloriously lost. I went all over the place! I have to confess, I was a large part of the problem. I missed a couple of exits because I was in the wrong lane (there were a lot of inner ring road dual carriageways and I was getting bewildered), but there was one stupendous moment when the sat nav took me to a junction where not only was the road closed, but I wasn't allowed down there anyway! I may have used harsh language and the three point turn I had to do when surrounded by shoppers really didn't help.

Since then I've been busy with writing stuff, and then my brother came around to have a look at bear's computer, which has been playing up. It was very odd, doing all the social distancing and using phones and shouted instructions. 

Writing stuff - the writing challenge reminded me so much of an old story that I couldn't think of a new one, so I copied it over. You can find it here.

Hugs and good health to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment