Pages

Monday 20 July 2020

Cheese on Toast

I called in to Morrisons today. It's an awful, tricky drive, though not so far. It's around three miles each way instead of eight, which is a saving, but there are some awful corners. I may try a longer way around next time.

I am still proud because I took the quickest route there and back and didn't get too much that was unnecessary. One thing that was less than necessary was some fake cheese. If I have proper cheese, I am sick. I don't think I'm allergic or anything, I just get ill and I have really evil stomach pains first, so it can knock me out for a day or two. I used to love cheese, though, and I grew up in Cheshire, where the cheese is amazing. We used to get our cheese from Chester market, where it came in from the local farms. This morning I saw some fake vegan cheese, with garlic and chives, and I was tempted. I gave in to temptation.

I also have a lot of bread that I need to use up. I went online to Bargain Foods and bought some close to out of date gluten free bread. It's Schar, so beautifully sealed and not like fresh bread, but I need to use it up as it the stuff that is left is now out of date. Bargain Foods is okay. You have to be careful because some of the stuff is cheaper in Tesco, but there are some good deals and if you sign up to their newsletter, they have discounts. 

So I had fake cheese on gluten free bread. It wasn't worth it. I can see the appeal, but the cheese had the same consistency as a washing up glove when thinly sliced and the taste wasn't all that brilliant. Besides, from a nutritional view point it was low on protein and high in fibre, which is not what I expect of cheese. The bread was a little inadequate as well. I think it is getting well past its best. It was a very disappointing lunch.

I should stick to what I believe. On the whole, by and large and in general, I try to have food that is naturally cheese/gluten free. I could have had scrambled eggs with oat cakes, or Heinz tomato soup, or baked beans on a baked potato. All of those are naturally gluten free and relatively healthy. I live and learn.

Writing stuff - look away now if you are sick of me talking about Out of the London Mist available for pre-order for three more days. I'm still giddy about the interviews (still hard to believe that I got interviewed twice, here and here) and I woke up this morning full of the words for the opening paragraph of the sequel. The writing challenge is here, but I don't know if I'll make anything. I'm on a deadline and my editor has mentioned her finely tuned cattle prod (hi, Rebekah!). It's an epic fantasy, which takes some writing. 

Hugs and good health to all


2 comments:

  1. I wonder if you have become lactose intolerant? I became so in my late 20s & suffered similar symptoms when l ate dairy ( cheese, milk, ice cream , etc). Might be a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Received your book today! I am so thrilled! Ann Finley, Washington, Michigan, USA

    ReplyDelete