Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2022

Quiet Day

Dormouse - I think that I'm also going to be spending the next six months following the men around. Funnily enough, I seem to be the only one to open curtains as well. 

Eileen - none of us drink hot drinks, so it's more heat and light that bother us. However we also have a stock of candles, a pile of blankets and a room with comfy chairs for us to hang out, so I'm not stressing too much. 

Bless - I'm considering getting some more solar lights, perhaps like fairy lights meant for the garden that I can put around windowsills just for all the time.

As for powercuts, I have a guilty secret. When I got an inheritance from uncle, I bought something that I'd wanted for ages that I honestly couldn't see me using - a storm kettle. At least, I hope it's there, as I never had the nerve to open the box. It is a ridiculous extravagance that was something that I wanted just because. So I'll be able to heat some water in most circumstances. I suppose that I had better check the box. In my defence, I was not in a good place at the time, and I've felt guilty about the extravagance ever since.

I also plan to stock up a little more on candles. Next time I do a big shop at Tesco with my 10% off, I plan to go to the candle section and stock on stuff that's on offer. Tesco candles aren't brilliant, but they will have a little light and some warm. I also have a soft spot for candles. They warm me up psychologically, so having one or two around in safe spots will make me feel better. This also involves picking up a carbon monoxide detector. 

As a sort of reassurance, as I over think things, I'm going to get a bag in a corner out of the way with a few candles, a powerbank to charge phones, batteries and perhaps even some snacks. I'll make a point of checking it every Sunday when we all hang out, so that things stay charged, and then I can forget about stressing. 

The candles will get used regardless. I won't be surprised if we get a few powercuts over winter, but I don't expect that they'll be long or really scary. I just need to be able to find the bathroom, find the water tap in the kitchen and find the blankets. I already use some of the brighter rechargeable lights, because I have them in the car to knit to when I'm waiting for bear in the darker nights. 

I haven't done much today. I've been waiting in for someone to come about the boiler. It was leaking, but now it's stopped. It's fairly low on the list. 

I think I will have an early night and then I hope to get cracking tomorrow. Tomorrow is the first day of metereological autumn, and perhaps it's as good a time as any to sit down and work out what I'm doing. What is harder is working out how to make myself stick at things. If I find out a secret, I'll share. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are well prepared for a power outage. We've been warned of intermittent power cuts "rolling blackouts" as they call them over the next several days as we are having a heatwave and there is a high demand on the power grid. Currently (at almost 4:00 p.m.) it is 107F and we are expected to go up to 110F, today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to be prepared. Because we camp we have a lot of lamps in the house. Our power goes out at least once in the winter as is we have an ice storm it tends to bring down the power lines. As for charging things, our cars have places to plug things in. Only know this as sometimes when we go camping we have no electricity lol and it's the only way to charge things.

    ReplyDelete