Pages

Sunday 5 November 2023

Things May Be Forgotten

I got a text today from Tesco to remind me of the delivery coming tomorrow. I don't remember booking the delivery. I never forget these sorts of things. I've also forgot salad for DH and pasties for bear. I almost never forget anything for them. It's like information is landing on the surface of my mind and then just skidding off sideways. This is a little worrying. 

When I was twenty, I lost all my short term memory. I could remember my name and stuff, but I couldn't remember whether I had switched on the kettle. I couldn't remember if I'd eaten or not. Due to the way memory works, I don't have many insights into that time, but the ones I have are quite nervewracking. 

Now I'm starting to feel a little like that. I suspect that it's the whole infection plus massive antibiotics and possibly a shortage of sleep. It may just be lack of practice at thinking. Tomorrow is going to have to be a day of sitting down, working out how to manage the thinking and remembering and sorting out priorities. 

I don't have a pic from today, but this is one I took back in 2018. I was still struggling to get out but I managed to get to Roundhay Park and took this.


I need to get out more and get healthier and fitter for bear's sake. He needs me to be able to do things that I currently can't. Last week I missed a GP check up because I couldn't get out. But I managed to get to them about the cellulitis because I was worried that I wouldn't be able to give bear lifts. 

Tomorrow is going to have to include some heavy duty thinking. 

At least I won't have to worry about bear getting to school. There's been a last minute hitch with some bits so bear won't be going into school until Friday. Until then, he'll be doing remote learning. Of course, I'll have to try and remember to feed him, but he's pretty good at sorting that out by himself now.

Writing stuff - I wrote a short story about need-fire here for Hazardous to Your Sanity. I also want to do some hard thinking about writing. Today I wondered if I was scattering my efforts too much. I'll come back with any developments, but things are likely to change.

Hugs and good health to all. 

4 comments:

  1. Losing my memory (or getting dementia, etc.) is one of my biggest fears! It seems to run in my family and sometimes, I find myself groping for words and can't remember that I have put something to boil on the stove! That scares me!
    Take time to rest and hopefully, that will help you feel better, soon. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That time is one of the scariest of my life. Sending hugs and a reminder that you are awesome and sometimes forgetting things is normal for all ages and all states of health (which I need to remember as well)

      Delete
  2. The loss of memory sounds really scary. Make sure you get lots of rest and take care of yourself.
    I have a terrible memory. I honestly don't remember a lot about my childhood or even my children's early years. I remember snippets but not whole chunks. Not sure why. I just take it that that's the way I am. Sometimes I just think my head is stuffed full of lots of other things there's no room for anything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The theory I go with is that you can only remember the things that you pay attention to and notice. I have gaps and vague impressions for a lot of the time bear was little because my attention was on stuff like father and uncle. There are times when I'd rather be day dreaming while, for example, washing up so that I don't pay enough attention to remember it. No loss as long as there's clean plates.

      Sending hugs

      Delete