Pages

Monday 29 January 2024

Still Cooking

This is a very poor picture of the back of the cooker.


I made DH's favourite pasta bake tonight. Normally it's 200g of uncooked pasta with a jar of Tesco pasta bake sauce plus half a jar of water, baked for 25 minutes then sprinkled with cheese and baked for another 20 minutes at 180C (350F, Gas 4, moderate). I knew that I had to reduce times and I was worried about the pasta not having enough time to absorb the water so I decided to briefly cook it first. I rinsed out a thermos with boiling water, added 200g of pasta, topped up with boiling water, screwed on the top and left it for around fifteen minutes. It looked like this.


The pasta was extremely well done. Then I stirred together with the sauce plus around a quarter of a jar or less of water in a baking dish and cooked it for 15 minutes at 160C, then sprinkled with cheese and cooked for a further ten minutes and DH said that it was amazing! So even when the oven is replaced, I think we'll carry on doing it this way. 

We made a claim on our insurance online yesterday and DH spoke to them today. He didn't get a sense that there was any issue with getting a replacement. I hope it goes well. We splashed out last time and got a cooker that cost £549. We got a good deal in the sale and I think we got discounts, but the general rule is that they replace like for like so it's the stove rather than how much we paid, which is just as well. The equivalent now is over £900. Prices have gone up so much, and when you see the contrast over six years, it's a shock. The gluten free pasta has gone back down, along with some food stuffs, but the handcream that I like from Tesco that was £1 maybe four years ago is now £1.80. 

Gladys is still bare.


Though other parts of the garden are sprouting, so I'll have to give her a good prune. The rose bush next to her looks very lively.


Writing stuff - Another instalment from Back to the White Hart is here

Hugs and good health to all.

8 comments:

  1. Don't give Gladys a prune just yet , the bare stems protect the plant. Cut down hard in late March/early April and she will surprise you once again. Val x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll have to trim a few branches sticking onto the path, but hopefully just those.

      Delete
  2. The back of the cooker looks scary! I'm going to have my stove checked this fall when I call for the furnace to be checked! Mine's gas and any fire can be a very dangerous thing!
    Glad you were able to cook your pasta bake. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a fire with mains gas and I've had that checked out every other year. I feel that it's better safe than sorry.

      Delete
  3. The bottom plant looks like things are growing. Good job on the pasta dish. Glad husband liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves his pasta bake and I'd be upset if he couldn't have it.

      Delete
  4. Your pasta meal sounds delicious, hope the Insurance pays up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that. Hopefully it's just straightforward

      Delete