Pages

Sunday 28 January 2024

The Cooker Blew Up

DH makes dinner on Sunday and he is amazing. Tonight was supposed to be sausage, sauce and caramelised onions in a casserole with a mashed potato topping. DH was prepping the onions and bear was washing a chopping board when there was a loud bang, all the lights went out and bear noticed flames coming out of the back of the cooker. They weren't very big flames and DH (who is a serious hero) blew them out, but there was definitely a fire thing going on. 

We had the expensive sausages (it was Sunday so we have the good stuff and they were nearly cooked so DH finished them in the air fryer) with microwave rice, then DH took the potatoes that had nearly been boiled for mash, sprinkled them with a little olive oil and bunged it in the air fryer and they came out lovely.


Next time I'll cut the potatoes bigger but they were cut to boil quickly. 

We are not exactly left high and dry. I took a quick look around the kitchen and we have a microwave, a rice cooker, an Instant Pot (still haven't worked with that), an omelette maker and a halogen oven. None of which are brilliant to make the pasta I fancied for tomorrow so I'll use yet another kitchen appliance and use a kettle and a thermos flask to try cooking pasta. I've been meaning to have a go at it for a while. 

I'm hoping that this isn't the start of a run of expenses. My experience is that once something expensive goes, something else follows quickly and then in a run. We've put in a claim with insurance. Thanks to this blog, I could check back and see how long we've had it. I thought we had it when father is here, but it was actually delivered January 2018. I would expect a cooker to last a little longer. The fridge was delivered on the same day. We've had the washer a good while as well.

Apart from that, it's been a quiet day. I hope it is quieter tomorrow.

Hugs and good health to all

12 comments:

  1. Oh, no! That must have been scary when the cooker blew up! Yes, I'd expect a cooker to last longer than 6 years!
    By the way, you can cook pasta in a rice cooker. Just add water to the rice cooker, put the lid on and bring the water to boil, remove the lid and add the pasta, then, cook the pasta with the lid off for as long as you like your pasta cooked (personally, I'd just wait until the water boils after the pasta is added, then, cover with the lid and turn the rice cooker off and let the pasta cook in the hot water for about 8 minutes) and drain the water off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'll have a go at it. Pasta is a necessity here.

      Delete
  2. Oh no. That happened to me more than twenty years ago. It's pretty scary isn't it. Fingers crossed it's not a run of expense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - Shakespeare had it right when he said that troubles come not in single spies but in battalions. I'm bracing.

      Delete
  3. Gosh that must have been a shock, so pleased your dinner survived!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an instant pot - love it. I mainly use is as a pressure cooker and it's far superior to my old style ones (I do a lot of bottling and the old ones have a flat bottom so I still use my old ones for that) There are loads of recipes for things to use an instant pot for - take a look on the internet, all free, no need to buy any recipe books. Its also very quiet. Try it. Hope your big cooker is sorted - I still wouldn't be without mine. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We're going to have a rummage around and see what we can find - it's going to be fun!

      Delete
  5. One of the things an Instant Pot is brilliant at is cooking pasta! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm browsing the internet for ideas now that you've mentioned it!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow that sounds quite scary! Hope you manage to get a replacement soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping everything crossed for a quick replacement.

      Delete