Pages

Monday 26 February 2018

A Big Day

It's a big day for me.  Today my passport arrived in the post and I immediately applied for my provisional driving licence.  I need to be able to drive by September.  It should be theoretically possible, and I am sure lots of people have managed it, but I'm nervous. 

I am not sure about my temperament and I'm not sure about my coordination and I am appalling at being taught.  I do have a habit of going my own way and reinventing the wheel.  On the other hand, having been a passenger in a car many times, I can't be the worst driver out there.  I've seen some truly horrific driving over the years.  I am going to practice positive thinking and study for the theory test.

Also, after seeing how Tom's book looks in print on demand self publish paperback (linky), I'm considering re-doing the books I have written so far to have them on demand in paperback as well.  It is quite daunting as if I was going to do that then it may as well coincide with the next thing I publish which is probably going to be the collection of the stories from 'At the Sign of the White Hart' and 'Steve Adderson's Story' and that feels very daunting.  I don't think I'll every get used the idea that I've written a book. 

And speaking of the White Hart - latest installment is here and the story from the beginning is here

12 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll be a very good driver, Lyssa. Will you be getting formal driving lessons through a driving school or having your husband teach you? Best wishes, either way. You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not asking my husband to teach me as it would not end well and be utterly cruel to him! I plan to take formal lessons and bear's friend's mum has offered to take me out. The driving test here can be really tough, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you for the good wishes LM x

      Delete
  2. Driving should make you just a little nervous and very cautious. Wishing you the best with your tests and training. It is an amazing feeling of freedom and independence to be able to drive-you can do this!
    Barb from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes and the vote of confidence. DH's cousin said that a good rule of thumb she learned when she was driving was to assume that everyone on the road was out to kill you and go from there. She is an awesome driver, so cautious is a good start! LM x

      Delete
  3. You can do it! Confession time - when hubby tried to teach me to drive I panicked, crashed into a big planter thing and it put me off for years. I finally learned when I turned 30. I took lessons, gained confidence and passed the test (which I was really nervous for as I don't take tests well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your confidence. I wouldn't ask DH to take me out. It would be cruel. But you did it, you got over the bad experience. I will take hope from you. LM x

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the driving, my SIL went on an intensive course I think it was a week and passed at the end.
    I'm so glad to see another chapter up to read, as soon as I saw the lid k I put the kettle on so I can enjoy reading with a cuppa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so flattered and hugged and boosted by your kind compliments about the stories. I can't tell you how much it means to me. I'm going for the crash course thingy. I'm hoping that it will get me past the test and then I can learn to drive afterwards! LM x

      Delete
  5. You have to want something to do it....want to drive enough and you'll get there. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right. I have the motivation, though. If I don't learn to drive bear will spend over two hours a day on the bus going to and from school. If I learn to drive it will be maybe forty minutes total, even with traffic. It's a big deal, but worth it. LM x

      Delete
  6. I am sure you will make a very good driver - it is the practise that really makes the difference and being able to think ahead for potential hazzards like you would on the advanced test.
    As you say there are some very bad drivers out there and some very arrogant ones - it always irritates me when we visit John Lewis in Cheadle, Cheshire, where most of the cars in the car park are very expensive there are always the ones who want to show their wealth and power by parking right outside on the double yellow lines - couldn't care less about other peoples's safety.
    Sounds exciting about your book - there is nothing like seeing yourself in print - I was the same when my designs came out in the Sunday Observer (a long time ago now - but I can still feel the feeling of accomplishment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU GOT PUBLISHED IN THE SUNDAY OBSERVER!!!!! WOW!!!!

      I used to live in Cheshire, but near Chester. My observations, for what they are worth, is that a fancy car really doesn't mean manners.

      To be honest, I'm looking forward to practising, sort of. I am also terrified. Thank you for your confidence LM x

      Delete