Pages

Tuesday 20 February 2018

I Blame the School

Bear came home and said he really liked quilting.  I smiled and nodded.  Bear waxed lyrical about the benefits of quilting and how relaxing it was, especially with all the stress that they are having at school, he really loves his quilting and he's really good at it and it is so relaxing.  I smiled and nodded some more.  So bear continued to tell me how much he liked quilting, emphasising that he could tie a knot in the thread and everything.  I caved.

I asked a few questions.  I don't really know much about quilting.  I've had a few goes but never finished anything.  However I've seen a few videos and I have a sort of general knowledge.  What bear has been doing at school is sewing two inch squares together into fours.  As far as I can tell there is no standard seam allowance so good luck to the teacher getting thirty odd sets of stitched together squares into anything flat.  Mind you, I think the teacher is into craft.  I know that bear and the rest of the class got an amazing knitted robin from her for Christmas, so she may be able to conjure up something amazing.  However I suspect there is an element of her helping calm down some stressed kids with simple handicrafts.  I approve. 

Now, as it happens, I have a stash of four inch squares in cheap cotton prints that I bought for an extremely small amount as I wanted to have a go and thought I'd start with something inexpensive.  I handed them over to bear with a pack of needles, some cream coloured cotton, a ruler, an erasable pen and my least favourite small sewing scissors - complete with strong instructions not to let the scissors near paper.  Bear has sewn the first two squares together and is pleased with the result.  As the fabric was extremely inexpensive and bear has no sense of colour even without his colour blindness, I am not sure what the result will be.  He also doesn't think that he needs to press the seams open as they are not doing that in school.  To be honest, I can imagine why the teacher doesn't want a lot of 10 and 11 year olds playing around with an iron, so I am letting him get on with it in the way he knows.  It's patchwork more than quilting, but I'm fine with that.  After a while we can watch a YouTube video together about backing the quilt/patchwork and he can have it for his room.  I've also promised to show him how to knit this weekend.

I'm on the fence about posting this, and I may take it down in the future.  I try and be aware that bear and/or his pals may find this blog in the future.  I don't want to give anyone ammunition against bear.  I've tried to keep to the fun things.  Bear is growing into a remarkable young man and I would hate to do anything that would hinder it.  It is still very unusual for boys to do much knitting and sewing.  If he had been a daughter I would have already been knitting with her.  I'm happy to encourage bear with cooking and tidying, and I will be introducing him to the washing machine and ironing as he gets a little older, but I hadn't really considered knitting and sewing with him, apart from a few summers ago when he quickly lost interest.  If he enjoys the knitting and sewing then we shall have to start.  It could be awesome!

18 comments:

  1. I realize kids can be terribly cruel, but I also believe these things are life skills and it is important to encourage them. Men become tailors, knitters, and even quilters. They should know the basics of repairing their own clothing. My own son, who it 32 and has twin 2 year old sons, repairs his own clothes, has taken a sock knitting class with me and has enquired about learning to sew something more complex this year. We are going to start a sewing class for men's shirts, taught be me. He will be my first pupil. My six year old granddaughter will be learning to quilt with me this summer during school break. I am sure your son will get a great sense of accomplishment from doing crafts. Keep is simple and fun, and they will enjoy it.
    Barb From Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your son sounds like he has more skills than me. I am going to let bear take the lead and I think we shall both have an amazing time. btw I haven't got the foil against the fridge yet, but I will do the next time I put the oven on, thank you for that tip LM x

      Delete
  2. We only had two boys on our fashion course - they were good - luckily they had not been put off by others that it wasn't a man's career. They could sew as well as all the girls and cut patterns and many of the great designers are men. My own husband once made me a hessian bag for my birthday and helped embroider a panel for one of my creations at college - so I am all in favour of him experimenting - you never know what talent you will uncover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband sounds awesome! Those two boys definitely have more skills than me. I can imagine bear teaching me a thing or two if he gets into the swing of things. I am in awe of people who can 'do' fashion sewing and design and pattern drafting. LM x

      Delete
  3. There's a long tradition of men knitting, I believe fishermen used to knit their jerseys, and of course Nelson's sailors would all have been able to sew, it's what they did in their spare time and made their own shoregoing clothes. Apparently Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe knit, and Edward VIII/Duke of Windsor did needlepoint. Plenty of good role models, although I can understand why Bear might not want it widely known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall share those facts with bear. I can understand why the stars knit on set, as knitting is so relaxing. There is a good chance that bear will out do me! LM x

      Delete
  4. Sounds like fun! Sewing is a skill anyone can use else you'll be like me and having your twenty something son asking you to sew a button on for him because he doesn't have a clue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because I can go years between sewing buttons on, but it is a useful skill so I will have to teach him. I'm keen to make sure he can manage basic laundry etc. and learning basics can be added to that. Of course, there's a good chance that bear will try and persuade me to do it for him anyway, but that's a risk I'll take lol. LM x

      Delete
  5. My mother, who taught in an all boys school, used to teach her 4th and 5th graders to sew. I remember her having them make yo-yos which were then sewn onto cushion covers to be given as gifts to their parents for Christmas or something. Useful skills to know.

    I confess that I don't iron any of my seams open when I sew my quilts, either! Occasionally, I may iron them to one side or the other when I join rows of them, but, very often, I don't iron them at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I remember seeing a quilt made from yoyos that were cut from old ties, and I have some old ties! I may set bear on that! Thank you for sharing about pressing. I wasn't sure and bear was steaming ahead. Thank you LM x

      Delete
  6. Didn't fishermen used to knit in the winters when the weather was too bad to put to sea...they were the ones who knitted the family's socks...not being dissimilar to making fishing nets x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I think I remember seeing somewhere a theory that knitting evolved from net making as they both involve linking loops of string or yarn. I know that the documentary I linked to some posts ago mainly featured women, but I can't believe that some fishermen wouldn't have wanted to keep themselves occupied. LM x

      Delete
  7. Keep on. My Uncle, now in his late 70s has always knitted and was never bullied or laughed at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your Uncle has made some wonderful things as well. I'm finally up for teaching bear. LM x

      Delete
  8. When I lived in North Wales we were near RAF Valley and there was a lovely craft shop nearby. The owner told us that a lot of the RAF pilots did cross stitch to relax. So if that sort of man is ok doing it, Bear could be as well. It is good for boys to know some basic skills of sewing etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that. I've used cross stitch to take my mind off things. I'll just teach bear if he wants to learn and let him get on with it. I remember camping near RAF Valley - in @ 1986! The pilots were practicing 'bumps' early morning so we didn't get a lie in! Thank you for bringing back a lovely memory LM x

      Delete
  9. Check out - 'The Quilting Marine' on Youtube.
    They don't come bigger or butcher than him ! as the title suggests, he is an ex- US marine who uses quilting to relax.
    It's not so unusual these days for men/boys to be expert at sewing and knitting etc., again, check Youtube for 'men who knit' etc.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this - I shall definitely be sharing with bear. Though I'm sure he'll be just as good (or bad) at finishing projects lol. Thank you LM x

      Delete