Pages

Saturday 24 February 2018

I made Dal Nirvana

I used the recipe from Budget Bytes (and I think I will be rummaging around their site a lot more).  I hadn't cooked anything like this before.  I've done a version of Esau's pottage which is red lentils, onions and spices but never really used brown lentils before and didn't realise I had to soak them first (fortunately I read the back of the packet).  I also substituted coconut milk for evaporated milk. 

I must get more lentil recipes on the table.  They are high in fibre, low in fat, have shedloads of vitamins, are gluten free and are extremely inexpensive.  Tonight the lentils cooked with garlic, ginger, cumin and paprika and served with rice and peas vanished of DH's and bear's plates at an alarming rate.  I've just found a recipe for lentil and apricot soup so that may turn up soon as well.

Now I am going to hunt through the internet for recipes that use up the two thirds of a tin of coconut milk I have over. 

7 comments:

  1. Our staple diet is brown lentils - I used to use the dried ones but now just buy the ready cooked packets from Sainsbury's or Tesco and just throw them into our curry, stew, Shepherds pie or whatever. I have a really nice Lentil loaf recipe which is a variation of Nutloaf and something called Picnic pie which is very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about the ready cooked sort, I didn't know they existed! Do you have a link to the lentil loaf recipe? All inspiration very welcome. LM x

      Delete
    2. Will look it out when I get home it isn't online but will write it out or scan it for you. Just keep reminding me if I forget!!

      Delete
  2. Lentils are wonderful. They are a great meat substitute in bolagnese (sp) sauce which I use to make spaghetti and lasagna as well. The little red ones go to mush, so can be used to thicken stews and soups and you don't even know that they are there. I use coconut milk in a Nigel Slater recipe for Coconut curry...so yummy. Happy cooking!
    Barb from Canada
    PS lots of pulses are grown in Canada. Here is a great resource for recipes http://www.pulsecanada.com/resources/?mode=details&recipe=61

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link - you are awesome! LM x

      Delete
  3. I prefer the red lentils for my dhal curry, but glad to hear your husband and son enjoyed the dish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. After eating it, I think I would prefer the red lentils as well. You're a better cook than I, so I will take my lead from you! LM x

    ReplyDelete