Pages

Wednesday 3 May 2023

Achievements

A few months ago, I decided to knit a sweater to donate over Lent. Easter is a distant memory, and so far I've done the back.


This rather unlovely lump is that back. The sweater is supposed to fit a 138cm chest (54 inches) and 70cm long (27.5 inches). The yarn is quite nice to knit, but very springy and the dratted thing is just stocking stitch and so has rolled up all over. It's a nice easy shape so far, though. It's from the Aldi sweater kit and when I saw a couple left in the shop, I nearly picked them up. Even if I didn't knit the sweater (the men in my house don't wear sweaters), the yarn is nice and £9.99 for 800g is a great price. Hopefully I'll make good progress on the front while watching the coronation. I know that there's a lot of hanging around coming up with bear's exams, so I'll be able to knit quite a bit then as well. 

The other achievement today is that I got 3 kilos of onions, reducted to 42p per kilo. They were only Redmere red onions, but they will be great in the usual mince/stew/curry/soup stuff that I use onions for. I was almost out of onion, so I was glad to see them. I left some packs for others, of course, but it's still a good score. I now have 28 very small ziplock bags of chopped onion in the freezer. I'll keep my eye out for mushrooms next, as I'm getting a little low on those as well. 

Now all I need to do is work out how to stop the squirrels chewing through the hook on the birdseed holder and I will have a triumph!

Hugs and good health to all. 

4 comments:

  1. Well done getting the back of the sweater knitted! I, too, usually start with the back! You could buy the yarn and knit yourself a blanket...it doesn't have to be a sweater. :)
    Sounds like you got a very good bargain with the onions! You did well to get several kilos and chop them up to freeze.
    Good luck with the squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll need all the luck I can get with the squirrel - they are ingenious creatures.

      I'm looking at the yarn I have and thinking about scarves. Thank you for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. i havent knitted for years , it just baffles me these days and i stick to crochet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never master crochet and I'm impressed by anyone who can. I feel it's a temperament thing of one or the other.

      Delete