Pages

Thursday 18 May 2023

Rats Continue

This evening there must have been three or four of them - some of them really cute! I've moved some stuff around and tomorrow I plan to plant mint. Apparently rats dislike the stuff, so I'm taking a risk and planting it directly into an isolated border.

Mind you, where the rats have been is a lovely soft, well dug soil. Perhaps they are just taking their due as the laborer is worthy of their hire. I cleared some stuff away and pruned stuff back.



There's not much change, but I've got rid of a lot of the cover between the rats usual run and the bird feeder. I'm leaving it empty at the moment. I'm sticking to a few minutes a day, but once I get the mint in, I'll have to start being diligent about watering. 

Bear is okay and still enjoying the new glasses. He had two exams today and has two more tomorrow. 

For those interested, the 'Fill your freezer - five items for the price of four' is back in Tesco. I picked up some packs of casserole beef. It's okay quality, and I suppose it becomes what I consider reasonable with offers like that, but the most wonderful thing about it is that it cooks from frozen. With some value/reduced veg that has been frozen, some stock cubes and a bit of time, it's a great meal that I don't need to remember to get out the night before and that I can forget once it's been bunged in. Last time it served three with enough for me to have lunch the day after. The offer expires on 29th May.

Speaking of offers, I picked up some reduced turkey thigh mince. I should have checked things better. According to Tesco website, turkey thigh mince should be £3.65 for 500g. The yellow sticker said marked down from £4.50 but the reciept showed £3.28. This is still a lot of money for me in an absolute sense and I need to be more careful and not have a knee jerk reaction to a yellow sticker. However I added it to some softened onions (from the reduced onions that I froze) and mushrooms (from the reduced mushrooms that I froze), browned it and then added a tin of tomato soup and had some with pasta and peas. I bunged what was left in the fridge and I think that there are two more meals there at least - hearty lunches for me for tomorrow and Saturday. I may even stretch it to four with some extra veg.

It's a real warning to me to check and check again the prices before buying (and I still haven't sorted the price book). Mind you, I've also picked up some reduced grapes as well. Tesco reduce their fruit, veg and fresh in the morning, though they don't reduce hugely. I'm focusing on improving my diet rather than losing weight at the moment, so more fruit and veg and better quality food. It may be worth me getting into the habit of checking what's reduced Monday morning and making a batch of food for me for the next few days. We'll see how it goes, especially as my routine will change after next week. Bear will be only going in for exams after 26th May. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like your garden is getting quite a make over! Hope the mint works to keep the rats out.
    You got some good deals at the grocery store, too. I bought some ground turkey on sale, today, for $3.99 for 1 lb. The regular price was $6.99/lb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turkey mince was an amazing deal. I would have gone in hard on that one. So far the mint has survived.

    ReplyDelete