Pages

Friday 12 May 2023

Tired in a Good Way

I was up late last night as bear, DH and I were talking and joking around. We had an absolute blast, but it meant a late night and I was shattered this morning. One of the themes last night was rats in the garden. We saw quite a few of them and so went out and tried banging on the ground and the bins. They are juvenile rats, I think, and look so sweet, but I don't really want them getting too comfortable. One of the issues is that the water company removed rubble from the sewer in the middle of the street which must have disturbed them, and it's that time of year. This meant that I needed to do something about my incredibly neglected and small garden. I took some 'before' pics. I am ashamed.





This morning I picked up two climbers (Clematis) from Tesco. They were quite expensive so I hope that they keep going. I was worried driving them home. 

I kept everything crossed that I wouldn't be stopped for driving with a triffid in the passenger seat. I actually had quite a good field of vision, but I'm picky and was twitchy all the way home. Still at least I got them planted.


I'm going to be moving a lot of stuff around, and hopefully that will cause enough rat discomfort to keep them mostly away. As it is, I've been moving, digging and generally clearing a small corner and that wore me out as well. 

I wish that the squirrels were that easy to deter. We are on the fourth seed feeder for the bird feeder as the previous three have been destroyed over the last month. Yesterday I was driving up to our house when I saw a squirrel dash across the road with a fat ball in its mouth - another feeder gone. I've ordered a new fatball container and it's described as 'Squirrel Resistant' but I'm not expecting great things. I'll take pics tomorrow. I'm not planning a great clear out of the garden. Instead I'm committing to ten minutes every day. That should get things moving. I'm not planning on putting in anything edible this year. The squirrels and rats are likely to get to anything before us. However, I'm planning on filling the pots with mint and parsley, possible coriander and basil as well. I picked up a couple of live herbs reduced in Tesco, and I'll see how they go. 

Bear was late out of school tonight. He has his first exam on Monday but he still has homework. He's doing okay. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Your garden looks very green and lush and I love those blue planters. I do hope you are able to get rid of the rats and the squirrels. Maybe you need a cat!

    ReplyDelete