Pages

Wednesday 17 May 2023

Rats

There are a lot of rats around the garden. I've been so tired that I haven't done much. I'll post a pic tomorrow with updates, but today I moved the bins out to the pavement (which everyone else does) and got rid of a planter. And I remembered to water the clematis. I'm going to have to move to full watering soon. This afternoon it was cute baby rats climbing the bird feeder, but last night they were massive. I'm considering my options. Also, while the really sweet looking baby rats were all over the birdfeeder and rampaging across my garden, next door but two's feral cat was having a snooze in the centre of the street.

Pic taken while standing next to my gate

I also finally feel comfortable planting things. It's been a cold spring, and I noticed that the almond blossom was late this year. However some plants seem further ahead and some seem to be just where they should. I called into Leeds centre to pay in a cheque and walking back from the bus stop on my way home (I will always get the bus as the centre of Leeds is not only fiendishly complicated but also mainly comprised of roadworks) I noticed there were still some forsythia flowers around, which normally flowers in February.


The hawthorn flower was a little early, I think, but very heavy.


And the wild garlic was pretty much about the same time as last year.


While I was waiting for bear, I noticed some privet had flower buds on, and I usually don't expect to see flowers on the privet until Wimbledon, which is the last week in June and the first week in July. 


Also while I waited for bear, I finished the shawl. The glow in the dark part is very limp indeed and it doesn't look good. 


It's also not really big enough. I think I will unravel it and make it into a narrow straight scarf like I should have the first time. Even drop stitch can only make 150g of yarn go so far.

Bear is doing pretty well He got some glasses to help with his colour blindness. He now can see purple! Until now, he was convinced that our car was blue. I don't know the science behind it, and I don't know if they work on everyone, but bear is thrilled. He can't get over the difference. He was astounded at how blue the label was on a tin of Heinz baked beans. He thinks today's exam (English Literature) went okay. He's more worried about the two exams tomorrow. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

6 comments:

  1. Our daughter had to give up feeding the birds due to rats in her back garden. She lives 2 doors away from her great uncle who keeps chickens. My husband had to go round her garden and block up all the gaps, so far, so good. I was expect you are counting down the exams, hope they are going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The exams are going well so far. We are doing all we can to keep feeding the birds (and squirrel) as we get so much pleasure from seeing them.

      Delete
  2. Of course the cat would sleep when there are baby rats running around! LOL. You might have to stop feeding the birds, at least over summer, to discourage the rats and the squirrels.
    Lots of pretty flowers around! I think the plants are all a bit confused when it comes to bloom time, this year.
    I like how your shawl looks, but, you need to be happy with it, so, if you think it would be better as a straight scarf, then, go for it.
    Sounds like bear is enjoying his new color-adjusted glasses! Wish him well on his upcoming exams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes and the kind words about the shawl. There are so many lovely flowers around this year, but it feels all out of step. I'm hoping I can get back to feeding the birds - we get so much pleasure from seeing them.

      Delete
  3. Eeeek rats. Those cute babies are going to grow into not so cute adults. I do feel sorry for rats though. We'd all be cooing if they were hedgehogs of any size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! And if squirrels didn't have such pretty tails, they'd be treated a lot differently as well.

    ReplyDelete