Pages

Sunday 21 May 2023

This May be Boring

I feel that I need to talk, and this is the best place for it, but it may be a little dull hearing me go on about things, especially as it's mostly stuff that I've said before. I really need to get things in order. However, knowing that I need to get sorted and actually getting sorted are two entirely different things. Over the last few days I've done a few little bits that are getting me unexpectedly nearer getting organised. This has taken me by surprise. I'll be sharing odd bits and bobs and I may make it a separate paragraph or two near the end like the writing stuff. It's not very interesting, but I need to talk, and this is where my friends are.

Bear is doing well and currently wearing the ORANGE hoodie which I'm sure will become the bane of my existence. He's feeling okay about his exams, but he said that in his exam yesterday he heard the kid behind him crying. I checked and he said that he felt he could come to either me or DH if he felt bad, but I am worrying like crazy. 

Looking for the bright side, there is a lot more blossom this year, I'm sure of it. I took this pic yesterday.

That is a hawthorn, and doesn't it look spectacular? The lilac is also the best I ever remember seeing.

And the fuchsia is showing sings of a decent recovery. I doubt that it will manage its usual trick of getting to the size of our bathroom without me noticing, but it's looking hopeful.

The clematis that I planted only a few days ago is flowering. The buds were there when I bought it, but the fact that it's flowered is hopeful.

And I've bought a small acer to go in the centre square.

The label says that it will grow to 1.5 metres. I have reservations as nothing we plant seems to go as planned, but I'll keep posting. 

And as it's a lovely day, I've even got some clothes out on an airer, which is a positive for me.

Knitting is happening. I was looking unenthusiastically at the Lent sweater and a YouTube video for one row chevron stitch came up here. I couldn't resist it, so pulled out some yarn from my stash and had a go. It's very straightforward, even for me, as it's all garter stitch with a 'knit two together' and a 'knit into front and back of stitch' and that's it.

I was aiming for a scarf, but I thought that this wouldn't be wide enough. You need a multiple of twelve, plus thirteen, plus two. Besides, I used the size needle recommended on the ball band of the yarn and it felt far too small, so I tried again.

And it was coming out lovely, but the yarn was telling me that it was a blanket. I could feel it calling to me. So once again I unravelled and tried again. I wasn't trying the chevron stitch, which I think needs a clean yarn and this was sort of fuzzy, and went with three rows garter stitch, one row purl, three rows garter stitch, one row twisted drop stitch (which is easier than it sounds) and as it's a self striping yarn, I found myself with this.


It looks a lot fancier than I expected, and I can knit it while thinking about something else. 

Something that I need to think about is my yarn stash. I have two packs of 400g each, and I'll need both for a decent blanket, and I couldn't find the second pack. While I was burrowing through the stash, I realised just how many unfinished projects I had and how much I needed to do to catch up. It was an incredibly depressing experience. I think that I'm going to have to block out some time to knit and practice mindfulness. That will be incredibly healthy for me and reduce the vast quantity of bags holding things. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. You can discuss organizing, gardening, and knitting any time and as often as you wish and I can assure you I will never be bored reading about it! Those are three of my favorite things to read about and discuss! :D
    I'm glad bear is managing the exam pressures well and he knows he can discuss things with you and your husband.
    I'm also glad that you are finding that taking small steps are helping you with getting more organized! Continue taking those small steps.
    Your garden is looking great with the lilac in bloom and the clematis flowering! Good to see that the fuchsia is responding well to the pruning!
    Thank you for sharing the link to the video for the chevron stitch. I think that would make a great edging for a sweater! But, I love the new blanket you are making! And I think I've found my new knitting project! I need to find out how to do the twisted drop stitch. As for unfinished projects (I prefer the term 'projects in progress'), I think we all have a few of those! At least, I know that I do! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that amazing, wonderful, kind hug!

      Delete