Pages

Wednesday 15 January 2014

Kitchen Ideas

I have not been having a good day (see post below) and when not only managed to smash six eggs but then found that the lovely, expensive chicken that I had cooked yesterday and so carefully tested for being well cooked was not so well cooked after all - in fact all the juices that had previously run so clear were jellied into a very suspicious pink colour - I decided I had to do something.

So I took a cupboard door off its hinges.

This particular door has never opened fully as the washing machine is just that bit too forward to let it fully open.  This is a nuisance as the cupboard extends to one side and there is a teapot in there that I haven't been able to reach since 1997.  The cupboard is on its last legs anyway, I think the frame would disintegrate with just a hard stare, but I took the door off so that I could get in and out easily.  Fortunately the worktop seems sturdy enough still.

A lot of the cupboards currently need replacing.  They were not new when we bought the house in 1994.  I had to do the sink unit a few years ago, as the chipboard was collapsing.  If money, mental energy and time were no object I could strip it all down to the brick.  I don't have time, mental energy or any money to spare for this so I can certainly move on to a more realistic holding plan.

I can make an argument for all the base units being replaced.  I plan to do them one by one, and not necessarily like for like.  The cupboard that collapsed I think I will replace with a unit, but the one I just took the door off I think I will replace with a butcher's block type thing.  I will be looking at second hand kitchen units.  I can't risk putting up shelves on the iffy walls so I may look for those taller, free standing kitchen cupboards.

Next month I shall replace the cupboard that has just had a shelf collapse.  Then I will take it from there.  I feel quietly confident that I will get there one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment