Pages

Saturday 5 October 2019

My Computer Hates Me

You know when it seems like a good idea, so you add yourself to said good idea and all of a sudden you are up to your neck in alligators? Not actual alligators, just alligator-like problems (though I feel a little snappy).

I'm a member of the Reader's Lounge on Facebook. They do a lot of events and promotions, and if you are into reading (or writing) it is an interesting place. There are some utterly wonderful, kind and generous people involved, who have helped me out in all sorts of ways. I added a short story to a call out they had.

I truly love the people in the Reader's Lounge and the associated Author Support Group, but I am somewhat regretting it. I have now had to get entangled with Story Origin. That is another place that may be of interest, as it is aimed mainly at authors but has what they call reader magnets set up where you can get tasters of the author's work and there is a lot of stuff about newsletters. Apparently you can run promotions through there. I will almost certainly be posting links under writing stuff later on, and not just to my stuff, but to other stuff I come across.

This meant that I have spent hours over the last few days trying to sort out the dratted Story Origin Account, and then convert files and upload things and lose things and use harsh language and my laptop was crawling along as I tried to work out how the heck I had managed to get to that part of the file and how the chuff I was supposed to get back from it. My brain feels like it is leaking out of my ears.

I'm not sure about the whole newsletter stuff. At the moment, it's the last thing I need to deal with. Story Origin seem to share the lists around, and I feel uncomfortable about that. If I do, by some miracle, get a newsletter out, then I wouldn't feel right sharing a mailing list. How do I know that someone who signed up to my newsletter would want newsletters from someone else? I guarantee that I will not knowingly and willingly share mailing lists without enthusiastic consent.

Also, darn it to heck, the whole lot of it.

In a more positive mood, I've sorted out the cutlery draw, disposed of a lot of extra stuff and made a very small amount of space. I've also got a little washing done, which is something.

Writing stuff - today's contribution to my October is a new piece, here. That, at least, made me smile

Hugs to all

Photo by Jade Seok on Unsplash

1 comment:

  1. It all sounds very complicated, to me! I am hopeless when it comes to computers! Hope you are able to sort it all out.

    ReplyDelete