Pages

Tuesday 20 December 2022

Eighteen Tubes of Pringles

Bless - that is so impressive of your daughter! To get student of the year and to keep up her grades is amazing! It is so good that you managed to get there to see her. I hope that she feels better soon and can visit you. 

As I get 2 lots of 10% off a big shop with my clubcard extra, I did one of them today. I have a delivery booked for the 22nd, but it's just the fresh stuff. I can't get a 10% off on a delivery. I also plan to have a quick run around on Christmas Eve to see if there is anything exciting marked down plus some salad stuff. 

I picked up pickles and relishes for Christmas (as there are usually left over type meals) and also some plates. The plates cost £2.50 each and I remembered with fondness the days when I could pick up a cheap white plate for 99p. 


I got the pic from Tesco, but as I'm giving them full credit plus a sort of advertising, I hope that they won't mind. They're nice and sturdy.

I picked up crisps and a few bits of regular chocolate and some non perishables that will take me to January like peppermint tea and honey to help bear and DH's sore throats. We've got the goodies in already. I also picked up some salad stuff for bear for lunch - that he had asked for! I didn't randomly decide what he was going to eat. I gave up on that years ago.

I also bought Pringles. As I explained to the really lovely lad in the queue (who was an absolute sweetie) as I unloaded my trolley, Pringles cost £2 without the clubcard markdown, but are usually £1.65 with a clubcard. Today they are £1.50 with the clubcard and with 10% off they are £1.35. The 'use by' date is in 2024, so I bought 18. The men really like them and will have a handful here and there most evenings. As they seal up nicely and don't go stale, it works. Again I remembered previous prices with fondness - once upon a time I wouldn't buy Pringles if they cost more than £1. I have been tempted not to get them, but the men enjoy them so much. They will probably last until February, depending on how people feel.

On a more positive note, I also bought 18 one litre bottles of flavoured fizzy water. The men really like it with their evening meal, and it's the only one DH will drink as it doesn't have aspartame. I got that many to see the month out, and it was nice to see a price drop. A few weeks ago I picked up two and they were 60p each. This time they were 50p. Mind you, when bear was younger and before I could drive, they were often 3 for £1. 

On the way out I saw this - free carrots for Rudolph.


I am feeling officially flattened. Bear doesn't know if he is hungry or not. This means that I have no idea whether I am cooking for him or not. This means that I don't know what I am going to eat as I'm not sure if I'm eating with him or not - and this is why I end up eating crisps and chocolate for dinner so often. 

I'm still not sure about the Clubcard Extra. I mean, the original at the till (which also included alcohol, but still) was £174 plus change. By the time all the discounts and the 10% were off, it was £150 and change. This is still a lot of money. I mean, it was £24.30 on Pringles and £8.10 on water (after discount) and I got enough basics like the pasta bake sauce that DH likes and the pasta to go with it, for it to take time to put away, but still! But apart from this time of year, I wonder if I would be better off doing lots of very small shops just as I need them rather than a vast and weighty shop of everything that I think I may need twice a month to take advantage of the 10%. You also get 10% off F&F clothes and own brands thoughout, but I don't buy much clothing, bear has his own views and DH shops in M&S. If I was really scraping the pennies, I don't think that I would do the two shops of at least £80 that would cover the cost of the clubcard which is £7.99 per month. 

I wish I had bear's grasp of numbers.

Hugs and good health to all. 

3 comments:

  1. I do think it's better to get things on sale especially if it's something that you're going to use. On the other hand, do you find yourself buying things just to take advantage of the discount you get? I suppose it's a matter of weighing things up.

    Maybe you could cook something that could be reheated at a later point. That way when Bear decides he is hungry he can have that or you could eat it at a later date. I say that, but I'm notorious for not eating properly as I just can't be bothered to do something just for me and, more often than not, I end up eating junk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have bear work out for you if the savings by doing two big shops each month is worth the clubcard fee! I gave up my Costco club card when they raised the fee because I knew I wasn't buying enough to make it worthwhile. I love that bin of free carrots for Rudolph! And now, I'm wanting Pringles! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I considered the Clubcard Extra but as I’m a bit of a tart where supermarkets are concerned I decided that I didn’t want to be tied into one store just to get that extra saving - and you are paying for it if I remember correctly?

    Very envious of your Pringles though. If I’d bought those no one else would get any! And I know I would regret it. How does anyone have ‘a handful’? I admire your menfolk’s restraint.

    ReplyDelete