Pages

Monday 13 February 2023

Needs and Wants

Bless - thank you! I'm hoping to get there this week. I'll take a load of pics. I also would love a floor plan to use for writing purposes as a reference, but I can't find one anywhere, so that's on the list.

Marjorie - thank you! I usually have one on the back seat for the waits during school runs, and I'm glad of them.

Cherie - that sounds like heaven!

I am actually quite good about the difference between what I need and what I want, but I fail at resisting 'wants' when I should stick to 'needs'. For example, extra yarn is possible the absolute last thing I need but I saw it in Aldi and, well, I failed at being sensible.


The sweater kit won't fit me and the men don't do sweaters but I thought I would make it for Lent. I've got an idea of what I may give up, but I also like to try and do something postive for Lent like make something like clothes or a blanket and then donate it. I've not been dedicated for the last few years but I hope to turn it around. Also, a blanket's worth (or possibly two) of pastel yarn for £9 per pack was a strong temptation and my willpower has the strength and resilience of a dandelion clock. 

By the way, I went on Aldi's website to check the price and they are apparently doing cashback through TopCashBack now. I put the TopCashBack extension on my browser and now it gets in the way on a surprising number of sites. 

I also called in at Tesco. Today is the last day of the 5 for the price of 4 freezer event. All I can say is that bear is good for at least a month or two of after school snacks and I will not be buying main meal stuff for between six months and a year! I'm also planning on giving up the 10% off Clubcard Extra as it's getting me to buy more than I really need and restricting me from shopping around. It really came into it's own with school uniform, when 10% off bear's stuff was a real blessing, but it's just not worth it now. I decided to do one last 10% off shop. I didn't really want that much but I stocked up on some tinned soups (as I haven't much space for my own soups in the freezer for some reason like going mad on things like frozen diced chicken) and the jars of curry sauce that work so well for the men. I spent £91.19 in total, but the savings were £25.08. There were a few bits like fruit and salad, but most of it was storecupboard stuff that will keep us going for some time. I'm pretty sure I got some long term 'needs' and not 'wants'

Writing stuff - This week's fiction is here and it's Invitation Accepted Chapter Two, following on from the first chapter last week. I've almost finished Chapter Three for next week and I hope that I can use the extra time over half term to finish off most of the story. After a while, I'll take it off the website, tidy it up and publish it as a book. The plan (and let's be honest, I fail at sticking to plans, but here's the intention at least) is that there will be a roster of books that have previously been published on my website (and Substack) and that if I get things right there will be one of them free to buy most months. There will also be other stuff (if I get it sorted) that won't be on the website or put regularly on for free. I'll keep you posted.

The thing is, with bear going to college and then possibly to university, I need to be more professional and businesslike about writing. I'll still try to always play fair, though. 

Hugs and good health to all

2 comments:

  1. I'm drooling over the yarn! Such a good price! And I love that idea of making something to donate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice idea to do that for lent. Our Aldis over here don't do a lot of that sort of stuff. I must admit that I haven't been for a while. I should go visit again. I used to like the cheese I was able to get there as I could get imported cheese fairly cheap.

    ReplyDelete