Pages

Sunday 1 October 2023

Catching Up with Lots of Writing Stuff

I meant to write a post on Friday but I was taking bear to a gig where his sweetheart was playing and didn't get back till late. Then I meant to post yesterday but we were moving things around and sorting stuff out and before I knew it I was shattered. So I'm writing now before I forget anything.

Bear was acting like a sort of roadie as the band his sweetheart is playing in had a gig in a pub. Fortunately the pub was nearby and only ten minutes away so I could go back home and catch up with stuff. I noticed that a self seeded sweet pea had grown up into the roses but I failed to get a decent pic. 


Bear seems happy with life in general. I can see me giving a lot of lifts in the future and I really don't mind. I'm proud of him. 

I'm sure that I did more than that on Friday but I can't remember it for the life of me!

Yesterday was 'moving furniture around' day and we got the third bookcase in place and it looks really good. I think that there's some more books to sort out, but we can do that in our own time. We moved the clock as well as the new position of the bookcase in the study mean that it didn't fit in it's usual place. We put it to the right time as it had been an hour and five minutes slow for the last sixth months. This clock had belonged to father and we noticed that there was a place for batteries for the chimes. DH put the batteries in at 1.25pm and it immediately loudly chimed nine times so we took them out again. They were not subtle chimes and heaven only knows what schedule they'd keep. And for some reason, the pendulum started working again. It hadn't moved in my memory but now it's swinging around hypnotically. 


DH and I went out for a hot chocolate, which was nice, and we did some serious hanging out in the room. 

Writing stuff - lots and lots of writing stuff. There are three posts that you may like on #HazardousToYourSanity - Why Serial Killers Don't Make Good Roomates by Abbye Kovacevic, my contribution on the superstitions around brambles, especially at this time of year, and an interesting piece on some of the misconceptions about Norse mythology by Salem Devina. Today I've also started October with revisiting the first of Kane's stories here to make sure that I keep up the ghostly feel for October.

This means that for the next month there's likely to be a lot of writing stuff being posted. I hope to share a lot of Kane's stories, mostly the older ones but I also plan to write some new stuff for October Frights Blog Hop 10th to 15th October, so brace yourself for lots of info. And speaking of October Frights, they have a giveaway on Story Origin here with some free reads. 

The most important bit of writing stuff is that A Place Called Paradise by Essie Summers has been published in Kindle format. Essie Summers was a New Zealand author and I've written about her here. The amazing Ken Pierce who is releasing Essie Summer's books (over fifty of them!) on Kindle got in touch and invited me to be part of the proofreading and checking group and I said yes! I was also invited to write the afterword for the Kindle version of A Place Called Paradise and I was nervous but said yes again. Essie Summers was my late mother's favourite author. I very rarely wish I could talk to my late mother again - our relationship was stormy at best - but I wish I could have shared that. 

And I think I've more or less caught up.

Hugs and good health to all. 

5 comments:

  1. I have all of the Essie Summers books, mostly books but a very few on Kindle, the ones that are an arm and leg to buy. Like you I enjoy the wholesomeness of the characters. I have them stashed away in boxes in the wardrobe and every so often will have an 'Essie' splurge. Thank you for your blog. Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kindle ones are a bit of a life line for me as they are a lot more affordable than the paperbacks. I'm now desperate for my favourites to come out (but they're all my favourites!)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a productive couple of days. I've been moving some furniture around too, although I hadn't meant to! LOL.

    ReplyDelete