Pages

Monday 13 April 2020

I Need a New Pan

Sharon - you probably did the right thing, but it's very frustrating. Hugs x

Wherethejourneytakesme - I'll get the hang of them at some point. I have not admitted defeat, just a temporary set back (probably). I think if it was a different pattern I would have a chance. I shall have another go at some point.

Last night wasn't brilliant with knitting either. I am not very good with lace as my mind wanders, and I lost six stitches in two pattern rows. To be fair, it was out of 180 stitches, so a small percentage, but you can't fudge a lace pattern, so I undid all I had done and started again. I'll give updated when I get further.

I need another pan. I got rid of my old pan set a few weeks ago. It was about time, because the pans were loose and I couldn't work out how to tighten rivets. I also couldn't get rid of the burnt remnants in the biggest pan and they were generally showing the wear of around fifteen years of constant use. I gave up and got a set of Tesco pans which, with discount, cost around £54. That is a lot of money to me. Unfortunately they are too small. I have a huge, ginormous, massive stock pan which currently has soup bubbling in it, but the biggest one of the new set isn't big enough to boil potatoes in for all of us. Pans are usually sold by the diameter of the top, and I'm fairly certain that the big pan of the new set is the same diameter at the top as the old one. But the old one went straight down and the new one tapers. It doesn't have the same capacity.

I could boil pasta and potatoes in the big stockpot, but it doesn't have a long handle, if you see what I mean. You have to pick it up with the two little handles either side and as I struggle with the lift at the best of times, it is a recipe for disaster to ask me to drain with it. There is always the option of wafting around with a straining spoon, but I can't see that ending well either, especially if we want mash.

I can't exactly go and look at one in a shop. I could wait until the lock down is over, but it's a nuisance.

I've had a quick look on eBay (my friend) and became transfixed by a set with bright blue linings before I closed the tab quickly.

At least the search for a pan is keeping me occupied.

Writing stuff - writing challenge is here - https://alwaysanotherchapter.co.uk/2020/04/13/writing-challenge-13th-april-2020/

Hugs and good health to all

1 comment:

  1. Haha ... at first I read your title as 'a new plan' ... then the penny dropped.

    It's funny how our old pans are 'just right' and replacing them takes a lot of searching out. I have had the same stainless steel three tier steamer set, the bottom pan of which is my go to soup stew pan for meals for both of us (with enough for leftovers) since my first marriage and my fifth wedding anniversary then. Which by my quick reckoning is 1983 ... if anything happened to it I would be mortified. It was the one kitchen item I took when I left my first husband even though I knew I wouldn't have a cooker at my next address.

    ReplyDelete