Pages

Thursday 30 April 2020

Unexpected Veg Box

We had a fruit and veg box delivered this morning. I was not expecting it. Around last month, when we were self isolating and trying to make sure that we had fruit and veg, I ordered a large mixed box with around a month to wait. Then I forgot about it. Today it appeared.

It has an aubergine. I loathe aubergines. It also had a single courgette, but I have peppers so I can always manage a ratatouille. There were tomatoes, potatoes, onions, leeks, peaches, plums, lots and lots of grapes, a melon, mandarins, carrots, massive parsnips, a mango, strawberries and all sorts. Unfortunately I picked up fruit and veg yesterday and we still have the end of the last fruit and veg box that came on Monday. I spent some time sorting all the fresh stuff out and I have over a dozen apples and pears and enough for several loaves of banana bread. It may take some time to work through the veggies, but the fruit has already taken a hit. This morning I chopped up a melon from the last order and put it next to bear, who ate the lot in short order.

I also sprayed some weedkiller. I didn't exactly spray it because there was just too much breeze and I thought it would come back to get me, so I used a watering can. It has made absolutely no difference except to make the garden smell foul. I need a Plan B.

On the bright side, bear did some school work without prompting.

Tonight we had soup.

I'm sort of planning an apple cake tomorrow, if things go well. I think I can use the mango and strawberries in a smoothie. Then we can have mince for dinner with the rest of the carrots and mushrooms plus roast cauliflower and possibly the spring greens. I'm expecting the Subscribe and Save order from Amazon tomorrow, so what with the cardboard boxes with the veg and the delivery from Approved Food, I'm getting up to my eyeballs in cardboard.

Sometimes I feel like all my attention is caught up with food.

Hugs and good health to all.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you could open a market stall selling fruit and veg and provide the cardboard box! At least it is healthy food - just a shame it doesn't last very long. Soup is a good way to reduce the pile and you can freeze it too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you received an unexpected box of fresh produce, although, I sympathize with you about the aubergine. They call them eggplant, over here, and brinjal in Sri Lanka - that is the name for it in English in Sri Lanka; we have an entirely different name for them in Sinhalese and in Tamil. Doesn't matter what they are called, I don't like them! LOL. They are supposed to be very good for one, though.

    ReplyDelete