Pages

Friday 24 April 2020

Today I did less

Today's dinner was at least homemade - soup using up the last veggies from the box. I have no idea what we are eating for the next couple of days, but I'm not going out again until Monday. We have stuff in, so we aren't going to go short. The only thing I'm short of is inspiration. I have chicken in the freezer, and the frozen ingredients for soup, and more veggies and chicken coming with a veg box delivery on Monday. The meals may become a little monotonous.

Also, bear is going to be in trouble if he doesn't sort out his schoolwork. That's the problem with an academic school - they insist on schoolwork. It's definitely the best school for bear, but bear doesn't currently share that view. He got his report today. It's not too bad. The scores for attitude to learning were slightly better than the attainment, and there was an improvement in his attitude from last term when it wasn't that bad at all. I have not mentioned a reward to him. I'm confident he'll let me know all about the reward system.

With bear, I've always tried to reward effort more than achievement. This was hard at primary school as he coasted along and hit the top marks without trying. Now he has to try a little, and he's rising to the challenge.

One thing the report doesn't show is whether bear is kind. He's had a few positive marks for helping out teachers, but I have always said that it is much more important to be kind than clever. The bits of feedback I've had seem to suggest that he'll do okay, so I'm not going to stress too much at the moment, at least, not about bear. The attitude and attainment scores had more above average than average marks, and a couple of real high scores, so he's doing alright.

I am determined that tomorrow I will do something if only to have something to blog about.

Hugs and good health to all.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that effort is more important than achievement. I have three kids and they were all at different levels so different marks meant different thinks for them.

    I know what you mean about the meals. I'm tired of it. I'm not having a good day today - started off alright, but our stay at home has been extended into mid-May and now we are required to wear masks at enclosed spaces. I feel as though I can't breathe with one on and am not sure what I'm going to do yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think many parents are struggling with the home schooling, especially if they have their own work to do too. I am sure bear will pull out all the stops and get down to some soon - he seems to be well motivated, but perhaps like all of us he just needs to use the time we have been given now to do things he would not normally be able to do.
    Not many ideas for chicken - being vegetarian I don't have this on my radar but I do have a few recipes for when friends visit and a lot of them are using a chicken breast and then applying various toppings and herbs which are bound in tomato paste or cream cheese and smeared on the breast then sprinkled with things like breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
    Well done to bear for his good report card - he is headed in the right direction. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a bit too hot for soup over here! I had a salad for lunch. Well, my go to recipe for chicken is curry, of course, followed by stir-fry (provided there are enough vegetables for that). As for bear and his homework, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure you've told him the importance of doing the work and he's old enough that he should take responsibility for it, himself, or, face the consequences. No doubt, he'll pull an all-day marathon and have it all done just before the assignments are due!

    ReplyDelete