Pages

Tuesday 25 August 2020

I Forgot Tomatoes

 I went to the shop today and forgot tomatoes. I picked up some pencils for bear for school. As long as I can find his backpack and calculator, we should be good to go. I found some trousers for him, which will probably be okay, and some bread rolls. 

Tonight it was supposed to be pepper and roast tomato soup, as I scored some inexpensive jars of roast peppers, but I forgot the dratted tomatoes. So it was frozen mince with chopped pickled onions, mushrooms, packet chestnuts (they needed using up) and peas served with mash. I'll do the soup tomorrow.

Apart from that, I've spent most of today recovering from remembering father. 

Fifitr - I am a sucker for the Subscribe and Save as well. You have to watch them, because the prices can creep up without you realising. I don't always remember the food bank, but it's easy for me when I go into Tesco because they have a big box right next to the exit, and I put in what I remember. Sometimes it may only be a few inexpensive packets of soup, and sometimes it's tinned meat or, like today, sweeties. Morrisons also has a place to leave stuff and they also have bins where you can leave dog and cat food. I usually try and leave some dry food, when I remember, because I think it's easier for them. 

I remember there was a foodbank drive at Tescos once and I donated a box of laundry pods (on sale own brand - I am not very saintly) and they were grateful because they could be divided up and one or two given out per parcel. The volunteer said that it was a help because a lot of the time someone needed to look presentable for a job interview, and clean clothes was an issue. It was a reminder that I am very lucky indeed.

Hugs and good health to all

4 comments:

  1. That's a good idea to buy laundry pods. My friend buys feminine hygiene things for the food bank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never though of laundry pods , though im a big donator of bog rolls and those ridiculous little packs of cereal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought about things that could be divided up like that, great idea. I try and remember to buy things like sanitary towels and tampons because I think a lot of people forget about those too. I'm afraid I can't be bothered to roast tomatoes most of the time, so I just blitz a few mi-cuit or sundried tomatoes in oil with a tin of toms or a carton of passata when a recipe calls for them and it usually works. You get some lovely tomato-flavoured oil with which to cook too, once you've used them all up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in Morrisons and noticed a couple of trolleys at the entrance, they were filled with paper bags containing goods that the foodbank needs, each bag had a price written on it so you could take one for the amount you wanted to spend, pay for it with your shopping and leave it in a trolley at the exit.
    I've not seen it done that way before and thought it was a good idea.
    Hazel

    ReplyDelete