Pages

Monday 10 August 2020

Size May Matter

 Patti - thank you! I am so glad that you enjoyed it, I feel so hugged for you for saying that. I'm hopeful that I'll get the sequel finished in the next few weeks and then it's up to the publisher's timetable. The sequel is set in Sudan and I'm having so much fun with it. Just to add - if I mention a Tube station, I've checked that it was open in 1901. If I mention a shop, it was operating then. I've checked contemporary street maps and all the streets I've mentioned are current. I've looked up special interest sites and old newspapers as well as taking shameless advantage of Wikipedia. I hope that helps with the enjoyment.

Bless - I've considered that (click and collect here), but they have slots for those as well, and they are also limited.

Eileen - I have a delivery coming tomorrow that I sort of swooped on. 

Sharon - it's so worrying! I'm near quite a few hotspots, so I have to take care.

Some time ago, I bought three inexpensive, self-assembly arches from Wilkos and I planned to put them over the three climbing fuschias. I had procrastinated and avoided and eventually this morning assembled the first with a lot of help from bear. It was somewhat larger than I thought.

Please ignore the evidence of weeds as the garden is a disgrace. The darker plants growing up on the right near the rose are the climbing fuschia which seem to have taken off. I'm going to have to go out and put string between the rungs of the arch. It's massive. At the end bear and I were sort of tilting and aiming it as we screwed the last few bits together. I also bent one of the rungs on the right. 

I expected it to be roughly a third of the size of this. I have two more and that may be too much for my garden. Bear thought it was hilarious.

The fuschias have been fine, of course, as they are generally thugs, but the lavender hasn't done so well. It's been a funny growing season, I think. It was very dry, then very wet, and now it's very hot. I saw these crab apples and I think that they are ripe quite early. 

Superstition says that the more berries, the worse the winter. I have a bad feeling about the winter.

Writing stuff - this week's writing challenge is here.

Hugs and good health to all.

2 comments:

  1. Lol lesson learned on the arch. I imagine that was quite funny to do.

    I hope the winter isn't too bad, though I am becoming prepared just to stay mainly inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your arch! I had one similar to that, but, not quite as sturdy, I think, because it fell apart under the weight of the vine that grew on it!

    Look at all the fruit on that crab apple tree! If you can pick some, then, you might be able to make crab apple jelly!

    ReplyDelete