Pages

Wednesday 26 August 2020

Problems with Soap

Thank you for all the comments about the food bank. Hazel - that sounds a great idea. I would certainly donate then! 

Another thing that I've donated a lot over the last month or so is pasta. Our local Tesco has bags of pasta for something like 45p to clear (I suspect they got some non-standard stock from the great panic buying this spring and they want rid of it) so I've added that. In the past I've also added bars of soap as they are incredibly inexpensive and easy to store. Tesco have a basic bar for 15p, but they also have a pack of four magnolia extract one which is moisturising at £1.20, or 30p a bar. I thought that as apparently many of those going to the foodbanks are in insecure accomodation, a bar of soap is easier to pack than a bottle that could leak.

And speaking of dratted soap, I did not practice frugality. I may or may not have taken drink when I ordered a fancy, lemon scented bar of soap from a local small business that used ethical, natural, non-synthetic ingredients. I had been fed up with father's imperial leather soap, but quite enjoyed bar soap instead of liquid handwash. So the fancy soap went in the bathroom. I picked up a pack of four lemon scented deodorising bar soaps from Morrisons for £1.20 (I don't want to even think about the cost of the fancy soap - as I said, drink may have been taken) and I have one of the Morrisons bars in my room. 

My bathroom is now infested with fruit flies swarming around the authentic, non-preservative, fancy, expensive soap. I can't get rid of the darned things. Everytime I turn on the sink tap, a cloud of tiny dratted fruit flies rise up and makes my skin crawl. I've binned the soap (and I'm still annoyed with myself for falling for a Facebook ad) but they are still clinging on to the taps. The inexpensive soap in my room is unaffected. As is the replacement soap which I can't remember buying, but smells very severe and cleansing and is apparently immune to fruit flies


I've just looked it up. Apparently it's good against prickly heat. That would have been good a few weeks ago, but we currently need sweaters (around 16C, 60F here). And I have fruit flies in my bathroom!

Writing stuff - this week's reply to the writing challenge is here.

Hugs and good health to all. 

5 comments:

  1. Fruit flies? Have you been summoning a demon? Quick, where's the dish soap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have popped it into an old butter dish and kept the flies off that way. But hindsight is an amazing thing and not everyone has a butter dish these days (I have three).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog has made me smile, I can picture it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I have never heard of fruit flies infesting soap! That is the weirdest thing. I went to France recently and came back with lots of savon de Marseilles, made with olive oil. I find it's good for most skin types, moisturises and lathers really well. In the interest of experiments I bought some quite expensive stuff (about £3 a bar, albeit a very big bar) and some no more than 30p, with a couple of types in between. We may not be allowed to go to France for a long time but when we are I will at least know which soap is the best value. I have tried buying various all natural, hand made soaps but they always seem to dry up or be full of gritty bits that won't lather well. Also I don't like very strong scents, although sniffing a bar of Wright's Coal Tar soap has the power to send me back to childhood bathtimes and memories of being bathed by my mother. She did so a lot, and I developed rashes. When she took me to the doctor he told her to let me get dirty once in a while and stop washing me so often! I still have mild skin reactions to wool and certain chemicals but nothing like I had as a small child - I just needed more bacteria and filth on my skin, apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me laugh! The fruit flies here in Wiltshire are AWFUL this year!! I've never known anything like it. Leave a watermelon or pineapple out on the side and 2 minutes later the little b*****s are swarming!

    ReplyDelete