Pages

Wednesday 13 January 2021

Bored of Nonsense

Fifitr - that is so familiar! We would sometimes get the tinned salmon for Sunday tea, or for special events in the summer. Did you get the trifle? That always came out for birthdays and visits. It sounds quite sad about Mrs Merry, but at least she had friends that would invite her for tea.

I started the day well. I felt refreshed when I got up, bunged some washing in the washer, did a little ironing, brought in the bins and then that stupid ladybits nonsense started again. I've been crippled since lunchtime. I'm fed up. I have an appointment with the tip tomorrow and I will have to stop off at a chemist to get some decent painkillers. I admit to being a little worried about the snow that's forecast, but hopefully it will hold off until after my journey. I also need to pick up some sandwich meat for DH and bear. 

Bear has been in a lot of pain today. However he's cracked on with his school work, and got a couple of positives. I think he's a little stressed, but he seems to be doing okay. 

I watched a video about Instant Pots and I felt the siren call of a new gadget. I'm sort of tempted, but I know I'm scared of pressure cookers. I feel there is a good chance of me resisting, though happy to hear any recommendations or warnings!

Hugs and good health to all. 

3 comments:

  1. I have an instapot. It was a gift. If you lived closer, I'd give you mine. It makes wonderful bone broth, but really, I don't have much more to say about it. I am a slow cooker soup person this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday tea was such a big thing back then. Salmon and cucumber and egg and cress sandwiches, on thin white bread, with crisps in a fancy glass bowl, an undressed, mixed salad with tomatoes cut into fancy shapes and lots of floppy lettuce, a bottle of salad cream and, as you note, trifle to follow, home made if you were lucky, Birds' packet if you were not, or tinned peaches and evaporated milk in little glass sundae dishes and if there were a lot to feed a fruit cake or victoria sandwich as well. In our house it was always the same menu, and pretty much how we entertained. I cannot remember anyone coming over for dinner in those days.
    The only thing I know about pressure cookers, not to put you off, is that my mother would send me out of the kitchen before letting the steam out of her metal monster and listening to the hiss like a giant snake from the other side of the door as the steam gushed out. I'm sure they've hugely improved! I've always resisted various extra cooking machines. They're all good for a few things. I used to have 3 large slow cookers to manage catering for parties and OAP lunches because certain things do cook well in them and they're great for gentle reheating, but I found lots of things people gave recipes for came out dry or all the flavour was leached into the liquid. If you cook a lot of the things that particular machine is good for - a deep fat fryer if you have chips everyday for instance - then I think it's a good idea but I could fill most of my kitchen with different food prep items that I'd only use a couple of times a month, or even less. Bread makers, canape makers, pasta makers, ice cream makers, juicers... all have been delightful for a few months and then have made their way out of the door again. The bread maker had to go because we were eating far too much bread as it was so delicious warm but all the rest just didn't justify the space they took up. Hopefully there will be some people with more positive experience to give you some guidance, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instant Pots are fab. Easy to use, a couple of fab UK based facebook groups. I recently upgraded to the Evo Duo Plus, and it's the best one so far. THere is also the Crisp version, which is an airfryer as well. That's good, but for the non air frying use, the Evo Duo Plus is better.
    * pressure cooking uk with feisty tapas (If you don't do FB, Maria (Feisty Tapas) also has a blog where she puts loads of recipes)
    *instant pot® uk community
    You can always join the groups and find out more about it before considering buying.

    ReplyDelete