Pages

Wednesday 6 January 2021

It Seemed Like a Good Idea

Cherie - I feel soooo hugged by that comment. Pass on my thanks to Tony and let him know that he's encouraged me. If you drop your email in the comments, I won't publish it but I'll get in touch with some more info (had to lose a lot of comments so haven't currently got it)

Fifitr - I think you're right - I need to be sparing in my shopping trips. I've spoken to the men of the house and DH and bear will let me know what they need so I only need to go to the shop once or twice a week. I can't in conscience get deliveries when I am able to get out. And I really want to run down the stores. The hard part is knowing that stuff is going to the tip which may, at other times, have been worth going to a charity shop. I think the charities are one of the businesses that are getting hit hard during this. 

Today I walked. I've mentioned about my complete lack of fitness, my worrying lack of strength in my legs and my inability to leave the house before I learned to drive. Today I realised that I have come on a little way. I'm nowhere near where I should be, but I'm nearer. 

I drove Red to KwikFit for a service. They have been awesome in the past, and so I felt okay leaving her with them. I decided to get the bus back home. I didn't live that far away, but further than I thought I could walk, and it wouldn't be a picturesque journey, more walking past small industrial estates but I thought that using the bus would get me more active as I walked between stops. I would have to change in Leeds. So I left the garage and walked to the bus stop. West Yorkshire Metro do a thing where if you text them the number on the bus stop, they text back with the times of the buses due. I would have to wait ten minutes for the next bus. I decided to walk to the next bus stop rather than stand around in the cold.

I got to the next bus stop, and peered ahead. I don't know the area very well, but I recognised the roundabout ahead. I could walk the few hundred yards to the roundabout, turn left and go down another road that has buses that meant I would just need one bus and a little walk. It seemed like a good idea. 

I trudged up the hill, found the bus stop and checked the wait time. It was eight minutes. I thought that I could surely walk to the next bus stop in eight minuties. If I had been on a different road or bus route, I would have managed it fine, but there weren't many houses around, just industrial units and garages, so I was fifty yards short of the stop when the bus sailed past me. 

I had a think. I could stand in the cold, with nowhere to sit or lean, for fifteen minutes until the next bus came and ride four stops (as mentioned, the stops are quite spread out, which is something). I could go on to the next stop and have the shame of riding a bus for three stops. Or I could walk home. I decided to walk. 

I checked on Google maps and I walked two and three quarter miles home. This is not actually that far. When I was a teenager, I would roam around for five miles or more without hesitation. But then when I moved away I became very wary about where I walked, and then I became even more shut in, then there were various health issues, so that by 2018 I was physically unable to walk this far. Today I walked further than I thought I was capable. And even in the industrial estates, there were still some lovely glimpses of nature.


I'll be honest, I got a taxi when I went to pick the car up. The driver terrified me and told me that Covid wasn't serious. I should have walked there. Mind you, I can't move now, so I would have been a wreck.

The service was fine, and the only extra was a bulb needed for the number plate light. Red ran like a dream as I had a quick run around but I didn't stop anywhere. 

I don't know if I'll be able to move tomorrow, but I promised bear that we would do some stuff in the garden. Please wish me luck - so stiff after such a little walk, but it's a big step for me. I'm determined not to fall back.

Writing stuff - getting nearer the publication date of the sequel to Out of the London Mist, which is called Under the Bright Saharan Sky. It's a little odd as while I run around trying to do the right thing in the run up to publication, I'm also working on a fantasy novel. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

6 comments:

  1. That was not a little walk it was a big step forward toward fitness, brave of you to even try it. why don't you try just walking around the block where you live on a nice day. I try to walk in a circle for about 15mins at a time even if it does make my hip ache. If you don't use it you lose it love Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you - that's nearly 3 miles. I think most of us can do more than we think we can if we really need to. It took a similar experience (well, getting lost in my case, because I am queen of getting lost) to make me realise that I could walk about three times further than I estimated I could in a pinch. Before that I'd been too scared to try and walk round the lake in my local country park because, well, what would happen if I conked out half way round? Without roads, would they airlift me out? Would a flat version of mountain rescue have to carry me back on a stretcher? I had all sorts of fears, mostly of looking riduculous and people pointing and saying'she's so fat she couldn't even walk round the lake'. But once I'd gotten my head round the fact that I could walk that far I started doing the walk every weekend, and then joined a gym... it's all in the head I think, mine at least. The trick to not getting stiff is to do more exercise today and stretch a bit. The seizing up afterwards is much worse than the exercise, I find! Very glad to hear you've had a conversation about shopping with the guys - think of all the writing time it'll free up;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done that walk was a great achievement and any aches and pains will remind you how well you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on stepping outside your comfort zone and making yourself proud! We are proud of you too!💖

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you with the walk! I love walking. I usually walk and take photos. I end up getting distracted for far too long though lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can barely walk one mile, these days, so I think you did amazingly well!

    ReplyDelete