Pages

Friday 15 January 2021

Still Staying In

There hasn't been any more snow, but it's been frozen in place. 

Fifitr - I'm not sure that the laurels will recover. About eighteen months or so ago, someone went through and cut back the laurels on the Matalan side of the fence but not our side. I think it was fairly drastic. This left them very unbalanced and they were already tilting towards us. They've been bowed over by snow before, though never this bad, but now they have nothing to balance them on the other side. They were already brushing the roof of my car as I went past. Now they have really sunk. I'm worried that they will have been so pushed down and then frozen that they won't easily spring back. I'm also worried that they will just fall over. Our house should be fine, more or less, but the cars won't. This is a pic from this morning.




Snow has been sliding off things all day, but it's still in place in the street and on the laurels, and they don't look like they are relaxing and going back. They've shed a lot of snow, but they are still only a foot or so away from the footpath. 

The numbers on the news sound very bad. DH was talking about getting deliveries regardless. I'm on the fence. If we get deliveries then it is one less person in the supermarket and we can stick to a limited deliveries. And there seem to be a lot more slots. I shall have to have a long think about it. Though if I can get out tomorrow, I'm going and getting stuff for sandwiches. The men will have to reconsider lunches if we are getting deliveries.

Hugs and good health to all.

2 comments:

  1. Our snow all turned to ice and going for a walk is absolutely horrible. I have these things I wear on the bottom of my boots to help with not slipping and they work really well. I hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the laurels may have cracked trunks with the weight of the snow and the bending. Hopefully they survive, but not in a way that's a nuisance for everyone living on your street.
    There are loads more deliveries available now, so why not take advantage. It would be a good sneaky way of getting your menfolk out of the habit of being so picky if you're only shopping once a week, too, and much safer for you. I am now using Delifresh and Morrisons every other week, roughly. That way I can bulk buy tins and packets from one and get decent fruit and veg from the other. It's also encouraging me to cook more with root veg and eat more apples and pears rather than more exotic produce that probably travels a lot further, so I'm seeing it as a win all round. Thanks for putting me onto them.

    ReplyDelete