Pages

Monday 18 January 2021

Still January

The weather today was adequate and I'm sticking with it. 

Sharon - bear has already a stack of pens and pencils. Some were coaxed out of me or family and some he bought himself. He has curated a looooong wish list of pencils and I'm making him buy his own. It won't be any Louis Vuitton pencils but not all of them are inexpensive. Bear is very good at comparison shopping and is very careful with his own money. I watch from a safe distance.

I went to the tip and then carefully dropped off some dry cleaning. I came straight home without shopping! And got stuck in gridlocked traffic and ended up coming back home the long way around. I've been writing and pottering since then. 

I've put in an online order with the Co-op, and I'll share how it went tomorrow. I have a plan to go to the Post Office on Wednesday and then I plan to stay in afterwards until perhaps next week. Tomorrow there is an Amber weather warning for rain, but should be safe for the Co-op to come here, then slightly less rain on Wednesday followed by a chance of snow. It's a time for hiding under the blanket. 

Writing stuff - Three more sleeps until Under the Bright Saharan Sky is out. I've put up a piece that is a hint of Lady Clara's outlook here on my writing blog here


Hugs and good health to all

3 comments:

  1. It's good that Bear has already learned about comparison shopping. I was pretty sure it wouldn't stick with my kids but as they have grown into adults they love a good bargain and usually don't buy things unless they are on sale. It's actually nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good pottering weather - not such drying weather though. We have an amber warning here and at the cottage. No doubt the little pond in fron of our window here will become a lake from the run off from next door's garden - they took up their grass and had it all tarmacked and now the rain has nowhere to go but onto ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never realised colouring pencils were that fashionable! I remember getting sets of caran d'ache (or something like that) as a kid which turned into watercolours if you wet them. In my case this mostly involved sucking them! They came in the most wonderful wide range of colours including exotic gold and silver; I loved having so many so I can understand where bear is coming from.
    I'm all for giving kids an allowance from an early age and getting them to buy as much as you feel able to give them free reign with. It really does teach the value of money. I had a budget that included school lunches, clothes, school supplies and toiletries from quite an early age, so I had to decide what to spend where, did I want to use the generic family shampoo or buy a special one, was a lip gloss more important than lunch etc and it's stood me in good stead.
    My parents paid for extraordinary and one off things if necessary, but they tried to encourage me to budget and run my own life. Also they were very busy and I was in a much better position to know that my class was going on a geography field trip that would require a kagoul and walking boots next week. This was because, to save them hassle, I largely forged their signatures on the endless notes asking them to confirm their attendance or otherwise at cheese and wine parties and concerts, or permission slips for field trips. Writing it down it makes them sound a bit uncaring but it was just our way as a family of not wasting time and not cluttering up the time we got together with unnecessary stuff like shopping trips and terrible school concerts.
    Well done for making a trip without stopping for shopping, and surviving the icy conditions. Now it's time to batten down the hatches for the next storm. Is it my imagination or do we seem to get half a dozen storms each year now whereas they were much less often even 10 years ago? Maybe it's just the habit of giving them names that makes them seem more frequent to me...

    ReplyDelete