Pages

Tuesday 5 January 2021

Still Shopping

Bless - all good wishes for you in the New Year.

Sharon - scary, scary times. I just hope that there's a good take up of the vaccine.

Today I got a lot of ironing done. There's still a significant amount left, but it's the size of the foothills of the Himalayas, rather than K2. I pulled out quite a few bits that bear had outgrown (where does the time go?) and bundled it up ready for the clothes bank. When I went to make dinner, we were out of the breaded chicken that I had planned. I still had other stuff so we had mince and mash. As I have a car service tomorrow, and I am a little wary about what happens to engines if they are fiddled with, I thought I'd nip out after dinner and pick up some frozen chicken and a few bits while I was there. I get the clubcard discount of 10% twice a month, and I had both left and time running out, so I thought I would grab a few bits. Pot Noodles were also on sale - 50p if you had a clubcard, instead of a lot more, and bear will sometimes eat them when he won't eat other stuff. They last for ages, so I was happy to stock up. I bobbed into Aldi as well for some cola.

Panic buying has struck. The pasta section at Aldi looked like this.


There was also no tomato ketchup at all, for some reason. They may have been restocking, as there was some in Tesco. Tesco had no Pot Noodles left in bear's favourite flavours, which is unsurprising with that deal, but there were a few gaps in the rice and oil sections as well. 

I'm sort of surprised. Most people will have stocked up before Christmas (which I did). Many will have stocked up over Brexit fears. I stocked up before Christmas because I was worried about bad weather. Apparently a lot of it is because people are putting an extra pack of x or y into the trolley 'just in case' and suddenly there are gaps. What is also a little unfair is that I don't think that the supermarkets had any warning of the lockdown so they couldn't batten down the toilet roll. 

I wonder about how long it will take for the pasta mountains stashed in cupboards all over the country to be reduced. 

The most annoying part is that I had the clothes ready for the clothes bank and the glass jars ready for the glass bank, but I forgot them and I'm trying to reduce the amount of times I leave the house. They will have to wait. I also managed to get some writing done, and now I am heading for an early bed. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year pet. Tony wants to know if you will be publishing another book. He has read Tales from the White Hart twice now. He must have really enjoyed it as he normally takes forever to read a novel once and then never reads it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The immediate lockdown caught me completely off guard too. Like you I have a stack of things ready for the charity shop, including some rather nice Christmas decs that I really want to keep but which just don't look right in my house - that's the effect of going from Georgian to mid-century modern unfortunately. Plus half my decorations have been living in the conservatory until I had chance to take them out and assess them in situ, as I don't have room to store them all properly. I got rid of about 2/3rd before we even moved here so I'm down to absolute favourites but I have to make the choice and get rid of some boxes. My big challenge is for them not to somehow mysteriously find their way into the conservatory again... Alongside them are two tables and a stool, a bucket and mop set and a whole host of garden bits that we were girding our loins to take to the tip this week. And to add insult to injury I was booked to have a haircut at 10am on Tuesday, thinking I'd better get on with it as a lockdown was likely to be imminent. I just misjudged how imminent.
    Like you I was already stocked up for Brexit, so am starting to run down my stores. They also live in the conservatory and I want to have a space we can actually sit comfortably in during the Summer, so I need to find homes for all the things that have found their way in there for want of a proper place to put them, and get rid of the unit full of tins and packets and cleaning stuff. Suffice to say it's bread and fruit only for the next couple of months.
    I just hope you don't have to keep visiting so many supermarkets to keep the men in your life supplied with their favourite meals; this variant really is scary and I worry about all the trips you make to pick bits up each week. I know deliveries are hard to get hold of - just been putting in my orders at Delifresh, or trying to! - but please consider more of those and fewer visits if you possibly can.
    Take care, and remember that by taking care of yourself first you're also taking care of them.

    ReplyDelete