Pages

Tuesday 13 September 2022

A Day Out

Deborah - if I remember correctly, the shawl works by casting on three stitches, increasing in the middle and carrying on until you are a third of the way through the yarn. Now, for example, if you have a hundred stitches (it was more like a gazillion and four when I knitted this, but it's an example), then you divide the stitches in half, knit to half the stitches (fifty) and put the rest on a stitch holder or length of yarn. Then you increase another fifty stitches so that you're back to the number you started with. Then you decrease in the centre the same amount as you increase, down to one stitch, then you cast off. Then you take the stitches on the holder, increase to go back to the original number of stitches, decrease in the centre until you are down to one stitch and cast off. If I'm remembering rightly (and who knows?) you have to make sure that the cast on stitches go towards the centre, but I'd have to look again. It drapes beautifully, and is so warm. I'll have to see if I can get bear to model it again. These pics were taken in 2017, and bear has grown about twelve inches since then, but you can get an idea.



It's incredibly warm and feels like a hug.

Bless - yes, it looks like what I would call double knitting, which seems to be slightly finer than worsted. The shawl pattern is all garter stitch, though, and that always does a little better on a bigger needle than recommended for the yarn. I guess a 5mm or a US 8. 

Eileen - bear seems to enjoy the lessons. I leave him to it. I need to have a good rummage in my stash or wait until the next Aldi yarn special buys for the shrug.

I met up with a friend and we went to Skipton for the day. We had a blast and she even knew a pancake shop that did gluten free pancakes! We had a wonderful time, and I was picking her brains about writing. She is an amazing and dedicated reader and I feel quite inspired. 

I forgot to take many pics. I got this pic from outside The Magpie which had all sorts of fun things, including the most amazing pot of chutney. I'll try and remember to get a pic of that tomorrow. The Magpie is full of curios, antiques, collectibles, chutney, art and all sorts of good things.


And there was a shop cat that I found. It didn't actually belong to that shop, it actually belonged to a shop next door. It just visited and shook the owner down for treats.


He's called Sherlock and he didn't approve of having his pic taken. The shop is called The Ragged Dragon and was full of all sorts of sparkly stuff like crystals and jewellery. I was so tempted by so much.

We had an absolute blast, and I avoided going into the Fent shop. Every time I've been in there, I've felt like I needed to start sewing. It has all sorts of roll ends and leftovers so you get amazing fabric at a very reduced price. I don't need fabric, I really don't!

We went in all the charity shops. I found a Regatta jacket for bear for £12 that looks immaculate. As bear normally has to be forced into a coat at gun point, I'm hoping that it will last more than this winter. It's a men's medium, and so may be a little big on bear, for now.

And bear did really well in that maths test he enjoyed. I am so proud of him.

Hugs and good health to all. 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. It looks beautiful and Bear is a fantastic model!! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a fluffy looking kitty! I'm glad you had an enjoyable day out with your friend.
    Well done on the maths test, bear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skipton is one of our favourite places to visit and a place we considered retiring to. I once bought a brand new king sized quilt cover in a charity shop there for £5. I think it's possibly a Dorma one and the quality is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Magpie and The Ragged Dragon are my sort of places and would be too tempting for me to visit them too often. I wish we had a Fent shop though. Thankfully there's nothing like that in town so my finances aren't challenged too often.

    ReplyDelete