Pages

Friday 2 September 2022

Keeping On

Sharon - I'm just taking a day at a time. I'll share any ideas I have.

Bless - That temperature is crazy! It looks like autumn has come early here, which is a little unsettling.

Cherie - I believe that blackberries benefit from a good pruning, but you are the expert.

Talking of blackberries, I may have shared the story before, but it's one of my abiding memories. When grandfather inherited his house, the large garden was full of brambles and nettles. My grandmother couldn't bear things going to waste so made jar after jar of blackberry jam (grandfather would eat all the jam she could make). I was around 8 or 9 at the time, but family legend says that she made over 100 pounds of jam that year. 

Eventually the garden got into some sort of shape and we just had one swathe of blackberries which were proper cultivars, though they ran riot. The garden flooded regularly from the river at the bottom during winter, and the blackberries thrived on it. 

As kids, we used to go up most Saturdays. Grandfather loved us, but could only take so much before he went out on his bike. Every autumn he was very clear - we couldn't cut the blackberries back too much or it would damage them. Every autumn, mother, uncle and grandmother would wait until the coast was clear and he was out on his bike and follow the instructions in the gardening manual to cut blackberries back to around 10-12 inches. We cut back huge amounts, mounds of the spiky stuff. Then, as uncle put it, we threw it in the river to see if it would float. Surprisingly, it did! Every year grandfather would come back from his bike ride and look suspiciously at the stumps where brambles taller than him used to be rioting. Mother, uncle and grandmother would look innocent and say that they hadn't cut that much off - look, the pile of cuttings isn't that big. Every year the damn stuff grew around eight to ten feet tall and we got pounds and pounds of blackberries. I loved picking them but I was never that keen on eating them. 

I went out to stretch my wheels today and pick up some bits. As I parked up, I noticed that the shop across the way had Christmas stuff in the window.


I don't know if it's left from last year or early for this year or whether it's a permanent fixture, but I thought it was nice and cheerful.

And the roofer turned up unexpectedly. I'm glad that it's done. I'm not sure that he will come back though as I think he found it a little higher than he thought. But that's one thing off the list. 

I've been looking at the calendar I've made and I'm starting to add things in and work out in which order things should happen. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

5 comments:

  1. Love the story about your grandfather's blackberry bushes! :D

    Glad the roofer showed up and took care of the work that needed to be done. Sounds like the month is off to a good start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely memories. My Grandad Jack used to grow lots down at the bottom of his garden. It is one of my fondest memories of him. He was one of the favourite things about visiting my Nana Browes. Grandad Jack used to have comics for us (something to do with his job) and Nana always had fizzy drinks and Ginger Cake and we used to watch wrestling with Big Daddy lol when we visited. It wasn't until later in life that I understood that Grandad Jack wasn't related to me at all - he lived with Nana but that was it. I was happily surprised, when I visited sister this summer, that she had found a photo of him in Mum's stuff. My brother had taken the original but sister printed me a copy. Sorry for rambling, your post brought back good memories. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning flower. I think I need to sneak out early one morning and cut down some of the local blackberry tangle. It won't do any harm and may just encourage it to bear fruit that will ripen next year. You won't know what to do with yourself next week with young man back at school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friends were comparing notes on how many jars of bramble jelly they were making this year. I kept quiet - Mr FD is the jam eater in our house and quite frankly it's easier and less trouble to buy a jar from the supermarket from time to time! I'm not a Domestic Goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hazel (Witchhazel)4 September 2022 at 15:06

    Loved the story about the blackberries.

    ReplyDelete