Pages

Friday 16 September 2022

I Am Not Tesco's Friend

Bless - I think I want something like a price book, because I'm looking at stuff and thinking that it's too expensive, but realising later that it was a real bargain. I'm just not keeping up with the prices. It would help with the fake sales as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one with some works-in-progress.

I was supposed to be getting a Tesco delivery today between 10am and 11am. So I dashed back from dropping bear off for school and waited. I couldn't really settle to much as I kept waiting for the delivery. Which turned up at 11.55am. And it contained a pound of frozen prawns that I didn't order. What also bugged me was the van was parked half way down the street, so I didn't get a warning and so opened the top door to find the first of the box of groceries precariously balanced on the top step and trapping me inside to make it so much harder for me to unpack, even if I didn't want to take the groceries in through the bottom door. I had to beg to get the man to put the next crate on the ground near the gate and not on the steps!

The prawns, apparently, are because the order is picked by machine, which makes mistakes, and the delivery driver really didn't want to take them back. Bear will have them, I suppose, so they won't be wasted. But I haven't had a moment to check if anything is missing, because they don't have the paper list anymore and the poor driver (who was pretty fed up himself) was running something like an hour late. I couldn't ask him to wait until I found the dratted order and checked through. All the main stuff came, though, as well as the prawns. There was a good deal on Heinz tomato soup (still haven't had the recommended Morrisons, but that's on the list), which was almost at pre-plague prices. I would have considered it an okay offer in 2019. But now a pack of four tins of Heinz tomato soup for £2.50 (Aldi price match) compares to an individual tin of soup at Morrisons costing £1.45! Once upon a time I would only buy Heinz soup when the offer dropped the price to 50p per tin. Those days have gone! I got four packs - they'll be gone by the end of December.

As I have the 10% off twice a month thing with the Clubcard extra which doesn't work on deliveries, I wondered if it was really worth keeping the Delivery Saver. I only got an order today because there was a deal giving £5 off a delivery if you spent over £15 on designated frozen products. I nearly gave it a miss, but there were a few bits that we would absolutely use, so I placed the order (without any hint of frozen prawn). However my Delivery Saver apparently auto renewed last month. At this point I'm definitely feeling a little less impressed with Tesco. I cancelled the auto renew (and made a note in my planner to check again next July), and I'll probably get the savings out of it, but it made me even grumpier. I'm a little ashamed of my grumpiness, but Tesco were not my favourites today! 

Bear is shattered after his first full week at school, finishing with a rousing session of football. I bought him the requisite football socks but I'm not sure that he wore them. He retreated to his room around 5pm and I don't expect to see him before noon tomorrow. He has said that he has a lot of homework already. I'm planning to do as little as possible over the long weekend, with hopefully a lot of knitting while watching history.

Hugs and good health to all. 

3 comments:

  1. I won't shop in Tesco. I hate the two price system... one if you have a club card and another if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I see what you mean about wanting a price book, now. It's hard to keep track of prices and know when something is a good bargain according to current prices. Glad you received your grocery order and it contained all the main items (plus the prawns!) I haven't tried the deliveries from the grocery store, preferring to pick up items, curbside. The store is pushing having items delivered, though.
    Hope Bear is able to have a restful weekend. Hope you have a good weekend, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did they charge you for the prawns? When that happened to me, but with a huge side of salmon not prawns, the driver said he wasn't allowed to take it back (H&S issues with fresh produce) so I could keep it for free. As you didn't order it you could email Customer Service and ask for a refund.

    ReplyDelete