Pages

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Just Passing Through

Father passed away yesterday afternoon.  So many reading this will know about the flurry of phone calls and bits of paper and confusion and grief that is happening here.  I was reading Ecclesiastes to father yesterday morning, and there is truly nothing new under the sun.

Bear is doing okay.  We all are.  I am not going to lie, I am bewildered and lost.  I shouldn't be, it was no surprise.  The doctors had been clear.  I am still working on it.  But we are doing okay.  Bear knows it is okay to be sad and okay to be happy.  He has no living grandparents now.  It is tough for him and he will be hearing far too many of the phone calls as it is in the middle of the summer holidays.  I suppose it gives him space to grieve.  Food, clean clothes and cuddles will continue to be provided for bear and DH and I will sort things out, small step by small step.  It looks like it may be several weeks before the funeral.  I'll be in limbo until then.  So expect random posts, crazed forays onto eBay, ramblings and, well, business as usual.

I found these two poems encapsulate the entire gamut of the experience for me.  Funeral Blues by WH Auden and Death in Leamington by John Betjeman

Thanks again for all the support.  It has been amazingly helpful and comforting.


8 comments:

  1. Very many condolences, will be thinking of you and DH and Bear. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I have followed your blog for a while but don't usually comment. It's ok to feel bewildered and lost - nothing prepares you for this moment, no matter how much it has been expected. There is an awful lot to do when someone dies, and the work will help to distract you but make sure you allow time to grieve. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With love and hugs to you all at this sad time

    Christina xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sincerest condolences.
    Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, Sybil. Even though it was expected, I can imagine it was a bit of a shock for it to finally happen. Sadness and relief, what a painful mixture.

    Your father was very lucky. He was able to come and live with you, who loved him so much. And, not only that, his son in law welcomed him, loved him, as well. He was not seen as a burden, he was much loved and wanted. That's a rare gift, and probably one of the most preciaous things you could have given him.

    He got to spend a lot of time with Bear, much more than he would have done otherwise.

    All the best for the coming days and weeks xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sybs I am so sorry to hear about your Dad,I know how devastating losing a Parent is so give yourself time and be gentle on yourself xx

    Lesleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear that your father passed away. Please accept my sympathy and prayers for you all at this very sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear that your father passed away. Please accept my sympathy and prayers for you all at this very sad time.

    ReplyDelete