Pages

Friday 18 September 2020

Inevitable

 Bear has a sore throat, a cough, and a runny nose. He can't stop sneezing. I've had a telephone consult with a doctor who believes he has tonsilitis. It's one of the bugs that go around whenever kids get together. Unfortunately, it's a pandemic, and the cough bear has, while sounding just like the sort of cough you get when you have a bad cold or flu, means that we all now have to self isolate and I need to try and get hold of a test for bear. When I tried to book one earlier, there were none available. It could be worse. In a month, university starts and that's when glandular fever usually starts the rounds.

It's sort of hard. I suspect that bear 'just' has tonsilitis. Poor kid is not a happy bunny, but he's doing his best. He has a throat spray and antibiotics. So it makes me feel a little off getting a test for him when it's probably negative and tests are in short supply. On the other hand, I could be wrong. I last had any sort of first aid training in 1977 (it was awesome, I went with the Girl Guides and the Scouts to the local TA and we had a wonderful fierce staff sergeant training us. They did fake wounds on a couple of us and sent us home to unsuspecting parents and we rode in the back of an open lorry). What if bear does have covid and needs a test? I'll keep trying to get one tomorrow.

Fortunately we had a Tesco delivery already booked for tomorrow and so I added a few bits. It's not like it was six months ago when you couldn't get deliveries for love nor money. There are various celebrations during this month, so we're having steak. I just added a few bits.

It has thrown some plans out, but it could be worse. DH has to work from home again, which helps all of us, and I don't have to brave the crazy traffic. 

On the way back from picking up the prescription (which I'm not sure I should have, but I didn't know at the time) I saw these berries. It's the most berries I've seen on a hawthorn. 

All the berries and fruits are making the hedgerows really colourful.

Hugs and good vibes to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Hope you manage to get Bear tested and it is negative and all he has is tonsillitis. But, this is the time for extra precautions, so, self-isolating is good. Wishing you all good health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Bear... he must be feeling down having just gotten back to school. I suspect a lot of school-age children will be having similar symptoms - there's always a rash of infections when they get back together and it may be worse this time because of the lengthy separation and lack of exposure to germs. Anything that is going around will spread like wildfire. Do you think it really is possible to keep schools open for long, given that it takes time to get test results (if you can even get a test) and the likelihood of many children going down with a seasonal sniffle or bug? Do his classmates have to isolate now as he has symptoms until covid can be ruled out or in? It doesn't seem to me to be a workable process unless there are testing facilities near each school to which kids can be whisked for a test and get the results the same day. Otherwise classes and year groups are going to be sent home to isolate over and over. Are your picky pair a bit more laid back when there's limited food because of lockdown? Is this a chance to sneak in a store cupboard dish or two they might not otherwise have tried. On the upside, you'll hopefully have more time for edits on your new book if you're not braving the school rush hour and visiting half a dozen different shops.

    ReplyDelete