Pages

Monday 7 December 2020

Another Week

 Thank you for all the good wishes. 

Peggy - alcohol has sorted of caused a problem with the blazer already. A while ago, a pen leaked in bear's pocket, which got ink everywhere and then dried up. Unfortunately bear keeps his mini bottle of hand sanitiser, which is high in alcohol, in that pocket and when the drips run into the pocket, the ink runs again. This is why bear's school shirts are gradually acquiring a grey patch on that side. I've given up. The mark is hidden by the blazer, so I now just wash, iron and ignore. 

Alcohol is supposed to be a great solvent and I've seen it recommended in quite a few cleaning hints. I'll remember spraying a jacket with vodka as there are always bits that need cleaning where the usual stuff doesn't work. Mrs Beeton recommends gin and a silk handkerchief for cleaning mirrors. I may experiment with sanitiser. There's gallons of it in the shops these days. I had a quick look at Tesco. Their least expensive vodka is £13.93 per litre at time of typing (£9.75 per bottle) while there is an offer on 500ml of sanitiser that comes out at £4 per litre with 70% alcohol (£1.99 per bottle), which is almost double the alcohol content of the vodka (but it is not suitable for drinking, seriously, don't drink it, do not drink it. Do not even consider drinking). The regular sanitiser with decent reviews comes out at £13.00 per litre. 

Thinking about it, I may have some rubbing alcohol somewhere, as I used it to make reed diffusers at one time (didn't really get into it). I may try that on his shirts. It's not too expensive from Amazon, who must be bewildered by my search history. 

This weekend was sort of medium. I cleared out the fridge and had a small rummage in the freezer. I had a go at the brussel sprout soup with the sprouts from last year. I simmered sprouts, onion, spices, stock, and garlic before blending. It was absolutely foul. I had to open a window and put a bowl of vinegar out to get rid of the smell. I got quite a bit of cleaning done, though not as much as I wanted. 

I took a load of stuff to the tip today. I had the slot booked at 10.45am and then went on to Tesco as I had planned to pick up a few bits. I took one look at the packed car park, dropped off some clothes and books at the Salvation Army donation point and drove straight home.

Unfortunately I ended up going back to Tesco later on due to a mix up with bear's prescription, which still needs sorting out. But it was still pretty busy and I needed to get home for dinner, so I grabbed a ready meal for bear, a soup for DH and came back. At least it's driving practice.

Hugs and good health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment