Pages

Sunday 14 February 2021

Cold!

The window in my room, next to my desk, is very draughty, especially when it's windy and I'm getting draughts across my writing. The weather is definitely unimpressive.

I sometimes think that I should choose a box and get in it. I don't ever seem to fit into a category. I usually don't worry about that too much, but I just realised that I may not be a consistent example for bear. The first few suggested videos for me on the YouTube home page are 10 hours of ambience music (writing music), a video about the SAS kit (research), a weather forecast in Dutch (no idea whatsoever), a video giving the difference between monks, friars and jedi made by a genuine monk (research into monks probably generated this), a video about growing sweet peppers and a video with tiny, handsewn patchwork. I think that I may lack focus. On the other hand, I have plenty of things to dip into if I'm bored. 

I have just spent a lovely, lazy early evening watching a film with DH. We saw The Devil Rides Out. It terrifies me. I know it's pretty low key compared to more modern films, but I'm not very good with scary. I write scarier than I can read. I may have nightmares. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. I think that sounds an intriguing mix of subjects. My DH always follows the Norwegian weather forecasters as they are always pretty accurate for our area almost to the hour.
    I remember a friend going to see the Exorcist in the 70's and being very disturbed by it as were many people back them. I would never watch it or anything like it but it is deemed quite tame nowadays compared with the modern films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Devil Rides Out was one of my favourite films growing up, and it still holds up well today. My father was very fond of horror movies even into his 80s so we watched a lot when I was a kid. There was a regular horror slot late on Friday nights where I saw wonderful things like The Beast With Five Fingers, and our local fleapit showed old horror double bills on Saturday afternoons including, memorably, the original Expressionist Nosferatu. So I've enjoyed the cathartic effect of a good fright for decades. I remember frightening the bejesus out of friends at school by describing the plot of The Beast With Five Fingers (about a murderous severed hand) and while I was doing it putting my arm around someone's back and then creeping my hand up their spine suddenly. As I'm sure we both appreciate, the scariest things on film are not buckets of blood being tossed everywhere by maniacs.

    I'm sure having diverse tastes and demonstrating everyone doesn't fit (and doesn't have to fit) into pigeon holes is the very best example you can give bear. Also algorithms are insane in the way they make connections, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete