Pages

Monday 22 February 2021

Slightly Better

Wherethejourneytakesme - avoiding garlic must be tricky. It sneaks into so many places. 

Fifitr - thank you for the support. I feel hugged.

I am gluten free, and I have issues around dairy. Bear isn't brilliant about dairy either.

Around six or seven years ago, bear started with an upset stomach that went seriously wrong. For several months he couldn't eat, had weird reactions to food, had violent stomach pains and was often sick. He couldn't even manage chocolate and this stretched over Christmas - the poor kid missed out on most of the treats. I had him back to the doctor plenty of times, but without any luck. We were just told to give bear milk of magnesia. We went through bottles of the stuff. It left a real mark. I don't want to go into too much detail, because it's bear's business and not mine, but there were times when I was desperate for him to get any food in him at all. Things have settled down somewhat now, but it can still make catering a challenge. 

I did some driving today. I called in at Boots, near IKEA, to try and get bear's prescription. Apparently there are manufacturing issues with one of the tablets so they had to ring my GP to sort out whether the thingy could be varied. I showed complete lack of discipline and walked out with a load of stuff, though, to be fair, a lot of it was half price. It was wonderful to browse new things, and the only thing I regret buying was the fancy handcream for £1.75 instead of £3.50. My hands did not react well and now I'm trying not to scratch my skin off. 

I also cleared out half a kitchen cupboard. I used my judgement. I didn't get rid of the unopened dried onions that were a month passed their 'best before' date, but I ditched the unopened dried carrots that had about a year left because they were definitely past their prime. 

Then I got the text to say that Boots now had the prescription ready, but I got there just as they were switching off the lights. I called in at Aldi for a few bits, so I stretched the wheels, and I'll go out again late tomorrow as it seems lovely and quiet. I'll try and just do a straight dash to the counter and out again, though, with no shopping detours!

Writing stuff - I try to have something on my writing blog every Monday. Today's piece is a little dark, so I'm not linking it, but it's what I 'heard' and so it's what I wrote. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

1 comment:

  1. How awful for you and bear - you must have been so worried - I am doubtful that Milk of Magnesia would have been the best remedy though. One of my daughters has an allergy to Sodium Metabisulphate found in so many foods and all anaesthetics as a bleaching/ preservative agent- a big problem for her if ever she needed an operation of any length - she just about made it through a tooth extraction. I think it is in the Covid vaccines too.
    A garlic allergy would hit you hard - I know how much you use it!

    ReplyDelete