Pages

Monday 8 February 2021

Sort of Snow

Eileen - I think that's a good idea. I may try tomorrow.

Fifitr - my late uncle's house regularly had the garden under water (river at the bottom of the garden) so I know that feeling. 

Sharon - it felt damp!

Years and years and years ago, I went camping in North Wales with the Girl Guides. We had a campsite near the River Dee, just before it hits Llangollen. They call the River Dee 'Merlin's Stream' because it can be unpredictable and dangerous. It's fed from the mountains in North Wales. When it rains, there isn't always much on the mountains to trap the water, so it comes straight down and into the streams and rivers. The river at the bottom of uncle's garden fed into the Dee, and it had the same habit of rising quickly when there was rain on the hills, even if there wasn't any rain locally. Well, it was Wales, which gets a lot of rain, and it was summer and camping, so the risk of rain got a lot higher, so when it was lovely and sunny when we got there, we were very happy. We got the tents pitched and all the camp set up and then it started to rain - heavily. The river at the edge of the campsite (farmer's field, really, the water was from a cow's trough) had been trickling along, a few inches of water several feet below the banks and the level of the tents. As the rain fell, the water rose. It got higher and higher and eventually stopped around an inch below the top of the bank, maybe a whisker less. I don't know how the poor Guide leaders coped! The girls all thought it was great fun. I've never forgotten the relentless way the water rose, though. It was incredibly unnerving. 

Today has been quiet. I've been writing a lot. Bear seems to have been having a wonderful time on the classes, as I keep hearing him chuckling. The weather has been odd. There have been interludes of snow, which then disappear. I'm glad it hasn't settled. I'm not sure that the laurels across the way would take it. If that happens, it's going to be a job of work getting the car out. I'm planning on having a drive tomorrow. I'm not actually planning on getting out of the car, but the act of driving helps my joints. We could perhaps do with some bits, but I may see about a Co-op delivery instead of actual shopping. It all depends on the weather. 

Writing stuff - because I'm working on a deadline, I've re-posted something I wrote back in 2015, Domestic Demon. I remember how much fun I had writing it, and it still makes me smile.

Hugs and good health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment