Pages

Wednesday 10 February 2021

Not Much Better

Wherethejourneytakesme - I've knitted both of these blankets and they turned out great and ridiculously snuggly. They are also both incredibly easy. There's the Garter Squish Blanket which is all in garter stitch, or plain knit, with an easy edge detail, and the Ombre Ridge Knit Blanket which is a variation on rib and is incredibly warm and comforting. Both patterns are free and if you get the really inexpensive double knit from Marriners Yarns or similar, then neither cost silly amounts to make. They have the added bonus that if you think you are going to have a few moments, you can pick them up and then drop them again when a toddler turns into a whirlwind without worrying about keeping up to the pattern. The Garter Squish Blanket uses two strands of yarn and the Ombre Ridge Knit Blanket uses three strands. You need to keep an eye on making sure that all strands are involved in the stitch, but that's the only drawback.

The blanket I am planning (if I ever get to it) is two strands of 4ply or lightweight yarn. That would probably make it around a chunky weight, which usually knits on 6mm. However with blankets, sometimes it's good to go a size or two bigger as it makes the fabric move easier. I'll cast on something like 151 - 175 stitches (odd number, would consider less), knit probably ten rows, maybe fifteen, then go to 1st row: Knit 10, K1,P1 rib to last ten stitches, knit 10. 2nd row: Knit all. Then I'd carry on until I was nearly out of yarn and knit the last few rows, hopefully the same number as the start. If it ever gets done, I'll share.

Today has been tough. I had something with gluten yesterday. I'm not exactly sure what, but last night my legs were suddenly covered in serious eczema. It's similar to when I first broke out, and it's desperately difficult. I could barely manage to click on the computer, it affects me so much. It takes over - I'm twitching and scratching and I can't even think in full sentences when it's really bad. As it was, I couldn't lie still when I went to bed, I couldn't bare it. In the end, at around 4am, I got up and drank enough rum to knock me out. I would recommend Co-op Navy Rum as remarkably smooth for the price as well as the ability to send me to sleep. I woke at 8am, of course, as bear starts school. I have spent the day hungover, itching and fed up. What is worse, I perhaps could have considered a drive to stretch my wheels but I'm not sure that I'm fit to drive. When the alcohol left my system, I was still utterly exhausted. Thank goodness the ham is already cooked. I was going to do roast veggies with it, but it's looking like pasta with sauce. 

I feel battered. Too much of me hurts. And because it comes through my skin, it can take weeks to settle down. Also, bear keeps his window open (in this weather!) and for some reason, if he has the window open in his room, I get a draught across my shins. It isn't helping. 

I hope that tomorrow I'll be able to be a little more cheerful.

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for so much good information - I will follow it all up at the weekend when we are minus the little one. hope you feeling better tonight (with or without the aid of the rum). Sending more hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a horrible reaction and not knowing the culprit means you won't be able to avoid it in the future.

    ReplyDelete