Pages

Tuesday 28 September 2021

Choosing a Fun Explanation

The drive to collect bear tonight was awful - rain in sheets, water running down the road like a river and lots of spray. I've never been so glad to get home!

None of the clocks in the house currently show the right time. I've been too nervous to wind up our very old clock, and the one my grandparents got when they were married in 1938 hasn't worked in years. The clock that father brought with him is around an hour and twenty minutes slow, the fancy one in the study is fast and the one in the kitchen has stopped. The clock in the bathroom is losing around five minutes a day and the one in my bedroom has no relationship with reality at all.

Realistically, pragmatically and sensibly, it's a coincidence that the batteries have run down at roughly the same time. I personally think that it's more fun to blame fairies. 

Ghosts is another good one to blame. The old clock has a habit of not going unless it's wound by a man, which is incredibly irritating. However it was quite useful in the house where I grew up as it was the only clock that would reliably work. Other clocks would break, refuse to be wound or, in the case of at least two watches, disappear.

And there is my personal habit of totally befuddling any watch I possess. I have never been able to make a watch last. It doesn't matter what sort of watch it is, it's toast as soon as I start wearing it. The best I ever had was around thirty years ago, and it was a watch that came free with a packet of soap powder. It lasted for ages until the day it tried to tell me that it was the 34th of June - in October. 

I'll get around to switching out the batteries soon, and it will be fine. Until then, I'm not sure which would be more entertaining to blame - the fairies or ghosts.

Hugs and good health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment