Pages

Thursday 9 September 2021

It Isn't Even Friday

I got bear to school without any problems, then dashed home as a plumber was due around lunchtime and I wanted to disinfect the bathroom and all the doorknobs and stuff and have a good clean. I got quite a bit done before the plumber came, but I was feeling a little out of sorts with the weather. It was incredibly close. 

The plumber (who is awesome) came to look at the bathroom sink that is falling off the wall. He put in some isolation thingies so that I can turn the water off to the taps if the sink does fall. The biggest part of the problem is that the tiles that the sink is attached to are falling off. The plumber recommended a block of wood. 

Bear had volunteered to come home on the bus, as I wasn't exactly sure when the plumber would be here. This let me nip to B&Q. I asked for help, but as I didn't know what I was looking for, the poor man was at something of a disadvantage. However he directed me to a bin near the door. It was full of offcuts, and you could help yourself for a donation to charity. I picked out a block of wood that I thought would fit on a stool next to the sink. I got home, thought again, went back and got a bigger bit. DH has cut it to size, so it should keep things in place until we can get the bathroom done.

Meanwhile the thunderstorm that had threatened all day had started. It was almost continuous thunder and the rain was coming down in stair rods. I was now worried about bear. If he had got on one bus, it would be a shortish walk. If he got a different bus, it would be a good twenty minutes in driving rain. I was considering texting him to see if he wanted me to meet him off the bus but he walked in - drenched. He squelched as he walked in. I've hung his blazer next to the dehumidifer and I'm just hoping that it will be fit for tomorrow as it was absolutely soaked. The school have a new strict regime so I have to send him in with this blazer, wet or not.

And while I mention the rain, the kitchen grew a puddle. It's happened before, but I've never been exactly sure what was going on. When I wash up, there is something of a blast radius as I slosh water all over the place. I can never quite be sure if it wasn't just me being enthusiastic washing a pan. Today it was definitely due to the heavy rain. I watched it grow. Unfortunately, I couldn't see where it was coming from. It probably seeped in somewhere, but I couldn't quite tell. The lino that's down was there when we moved in, back in 1994. It has seen some wear since. I don't think that it came in through the door, but I think there is a leak from the drain. I also think that there may be a leak at the back of the fridge as there was a large damp spot in the doorway to the dining room. 

I realised that I was running short of some bits, and that I wanted to top up with petrol as I had a list of stuff tomorrow and wasn't sure what I'd be doing, so I nipped out. I got to Tesco and half of the forecourt was coned off. They seemed to be running short of petrol. This did not help my headache. 

To be honest, the whole drive was a little stressful. There were unexpected flooded areas from the earlier downpour, and I watched in disbelief as a squirrel ran in front of my car, carried on in front of an oncoming car, stopped, had a think as the poor driver coming the other way had to brake, then continued to the other side. On the way home, the heavens opened again and it was awful driving. 

I did cheer up a little as I came down the street, though. I saw a bat. I don't know if it was our bat, but it was reassuring. And the trip to B&Q used to scare me and I managed it fine. So it could be worse. However I now have a banging headache and I feel tense as a board. I think I will try meditation, or possibly rum, and get an early night.

Writing stuff - I've signed up to the October Frights again. Brace yourselves, as I will be posting links all the way through October, and particularly to the October Frights Blog Hop. Lots of people take part, and it is a chance for us to air our spooky stories. I hope to have a couple of new stories for the event, plus an old favourite or two. 

Hugs and good health to all.

1 comment:

  1. I see that I'm not the only one with a bathroom with tiles coming off! All the tiles along the edge of one bathroom wall have fallen off! And a door on the under the sink cabinet came off, too! The bathroom looks like it is in need of major renovations!

    ReplyDelete