Pages

Friday 7 February 2020

Getting Back to Normal

By the time I had dropped bear and pal off at school, worked out what extra groceries were needed, picked them up, got home, sorted some washing and a few chores, caught up with some work, dived out and tried a new route to pick up (I sincerely apologise to the driver behind me at the awkward junction, I am so sorry), got bear home and changed, it was time to go out.

Bear had heard about excerpts of some Gilbert and Sullivan being performed at Yeadon Town Hall via his amazing music tutor. I had a few issues finding parking, but we scuttled in to the hall in the nick of time.

It was amazing. It is an amateur company but it sounded so awesome that it was hard to believe. There were great costumes, an orchestra and it was so much fun. Bear loved it. I was a little worried, as it is something completely new to him, but he couldn't get enough of it.

I admit I may have made a mistake. I took him into the bar with me. He is thirteen. I'm not sure about the ages. Though it wasn't exactly a den of iniquity. Bear brought the average age down by about thirty years, and there wasn't much drunkeness or debauchery. He had a blackcurrant and I had a diet cola, then went off to sit in a quiet corner.

I picked up a flyer for some more amateur Gilbert and Sullivan at Batley Town Hall in April, so we may get to see some more.

There were a few issues getting away from Yeadon (there was a one way system, and I don't really know the area), but now we are home and bear is still thrilled with it.

Wherethejourneytakesme - yes, I remember that, and I had to choose one of either music, drama or art and I chose the one I was least bad at as I was unimpressive at all of them. They haven't asked for that at bear's school, but they have said that you could only choose one of Graphics, Resistant Materials or Food Tech because of the amount of coursework, which is reasonable enough, I suppose. I am still not exactly sure what Resistant Materials involves as bear has made a perspex phone stand and not much else, but I don't think they cover sewing. Graphics is like computer graphics, I think. as bear says that he is learning Photoshop in this part of the course. I am deeply relieved that Food Tech hasn't been considered, but I'm confident that bear will make up for it in other ways.

I really need to remember to take pics.

Hugs to all.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy day! Hope bear gets to do his choice of subjects, although 10 seems like a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose what was called Domestic Science then as I could already sew (my gran being a tailoress by trade) and was already more advanced than the teacher could deal with. I then went back and did Art O level with the 5 th years in my spare time when I got into the sixth form. Good job I did as I decided on Art College in the end rather than catering and hospitality.
    Our village always does a Gilbert and Sullivan performance every year - perhaps bear might like the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival in November but it can be quite wierd stuff.

    ReplyDelete